Match report

Tiverton Town 1 - 2 Torquay United

   Friday 03/08/2001   Friendly
John Reidy

Tiverton´s attempt to add Torquay to their list of pre-season Nationwide League scalps ended when we went down 2-1 at home to the Gulls last night.

Tivvy had recorded a win against Swansea and held Portsmouth to a draw in the previous week as well as thrashing Western League side Barnstaple on Wednesday night.

But they ran out of steam in last night´s encounter against a Torquay side eager to please new boss Roy McFarland. David Graham and trialist Shane Tudor struck in the first half and Kevin Nancekivell pulled one back after Tiverton had tightened up after the break.

"We were very disappointing in the first half and looked tired‚" admitted assistant manager Martyn Grimshaw. "It was our third game in five days and for a while we weren´t at the races. Torquay came out‚ were up for it from the start and really shut us down. At half-time Martyn Rogers had a word and in the second half we were much better. I don´t think Paul Edwards had a shot to save. We´re disappointed because it was a local derby and one we wanted to do well in."

Graham directed his header back across goal to put the Gulls in front a quarter of an hour into the game with Tudor lobbing Edwards to make it 2-0 10 minutes before the break.

Tivvy put some good passes together in the second half and were rewarded when Kevin Nancekivell put away a blocked shot to score his third goal in seven pre-season outings‚ but the less said about this performance the better. With Torquay fielding a mixture of players including four trialists most people in the ground thought Tivvy might well get a good result. However‚ the visitors hadn´t read the script and tore into Tiverton´s defence from the first whistle. In the 3rd minute Daly was caught in possession and Roach had a point blank effort saved by Edwards. Within sixty seconds Eddie had to be at his best to stop a David Graham volley. Three minutes later Scott Rogers sent a rising 20 yard shot over the bar. But within a minute the Gulls took the lead as Alex Russell´s free-kick found Graham‚ who outjumped the defence with ease to plant the ball past Eddle. In the 13th minute the same striker volleyed wide. Steve Ovens‚ Tiverton´s liveliest player on the night‚ then produced a fine 20 yard run culminating in an angled shot that Dearden smothered. Shane Tudor then crossed from the left and Graham just failed to touch home but Graham returned the compliment five minutes later and the unmarked Tudor placed his header over Edwards into the net. By now Ovens had left the field after the giant Jimmy Aggrey had fallen on him. Leonard tried his luck with a curling effort from 20 yards then Nancekivell cut inside and shot from inside the box which Dearden did well to save. Lynch‚ who was tryng hard‚ almost got in on a poor back pass but was beaten to it by Dearden. On 44 minutes a flowing four man move saw Nance with what seemed an easy chance on the back post but he fired over.

The second half saw two players‚ Winter and Aggrey sent off as Tivvy tried to get back in it. Lynch twice‚ Toomey‚ and Leonard had half chances and Leonard was involve in Tivvy´s goal‚ his direct free-kick fumbled by Ryan Northmore‚ the Gulls substitute keeper and Nancekivell heading the loose ball home.

Line up: Paul Edwards‚ Steve Winter‚ Neil Saunders‚ Paul Tatterton‚ Nicky Marker‚ Scott Rogers‚ Kevin Nancekivel‚ ‚ Steve Ovens‚ Antony Lynch‚ Steve Daly‚ Dave Leonard.

Subs used: Dave Toomey‚ Paul Cheneoweth‚ Neil Saunders‚ David Steele Luke Vinnicombe Martin Parker‚ Phil Everett.

This report ©2001 John Reidy

Please note: The � or ? character in some older reports denotes where an error has occured in translation when the reports were transfered between databases