Match report

Tiverton Town 2 - 0 Plymouth Argyle

   Friday 04/08/2000   Friendly
Nigel Davis

OK. Respect. Which one of these sides plays in the Dr Martens??? Hang on a sec. Those guys in yellow and black. Didn´t they beat Exeter City 2-1 in a friendly on February 22nd? And didn´t they beat Argyle 5-2‚ also in a friendly on March 8th? And didn´t they beat Torquay United in the final of the Devon St Lukes Bowl on May 11th (3-2 on pens having drawn 3-3 after extra time)? And also drawn 2-2 with Exeter City just a fortnight ago‚ having led 2-0 at half-time??? What is this hoodoo that Tivvy hold over their professional counterparts???
Not so many years ago‚ we were enthralled that we had pierced their respective defences whilst succumbing to a swingeing defeat. Now we are invincible against our professional counterparts (well‚ at least in the year 2000). Heck. What is the world coming to?!?!?! And Tivvy took just 13 seconds to unlock the Argyle defence with a rampaging move involving Phil Everett and Dave Leonard. The writing was already on the wall. Indeed‚ Tivvy should have gone in at half-time a couple of goals up but the luck wasn´t with them‚ despite the vast amount of possession.
Argyle had to wait until the 34th minute before their first attempt on target - a header straight at Paul Edwards - and‚ apart from a long range effort from Sean McCarthy six minutes later (which wouldn´t have counted if it had beaten Edwards as the flag was up for an infringement) that was all that they could muster throughout the 90 minutes.
Frustration percolated through the Argyle ranks and they were constantly penalised for shirt-pulling‚ holding and dodgy tackles. At half time they withdrew Wayne O´Sullivan and Adrian Clarke‚ replacing them with Steve Guinan and Terry Fleming.
Just seven minutes into the second half‚ at exactly the same point in the game that Kevin Nancekivell completed his hat-trick at Cullompton the previous Tuesday‚ it was that man again who stormed through leaving the Pilgrims in tatters before cooly slotting the ball home. 1-0 to Tivvy.
Four minutes later‚ Argyle were lucky to not be down to 10 men as Sean McCarthy clattered through the back of Phil Everett´s legs to dump the striker onto the immaculate Ladysmead turf. He certainly got a stiff lecture from the ref.
After 63 minutes‚ Steve Ovens outpaced Paul McGregor and‚ having rounded him in the box he was shoved to the ground - penalty. As McGregor was the last man‚ he also was lucky to stay on the park. Up stepped Nick Marker and‚ as he has shown before (at Sutton Coldfield)‚ you don´t have a cooler head for these vital kicks. He calmly swept the ball home off the inside of the keeper´s right hand post and it was 2-0. Three minutes later and Argyle were forced to make a substitution as referee Edward Martin had no option but to request the withdrawal of Steve Guinan following his assault on Dave Leonard. It was probably for Guinan´s protection as well... His replacement was Steve Adams. We had one more moment of drama as Stuart Smith unleashed a thunderbolt from 30 yards that was well stopped by Hodges.
A flurry of substitutions followed and still Tivvy looked the more creative side. A superb pass by Russ Jee to release Ryan King‚ which led to a corner‚ epitomised the class within the Tivvy ranks whereas Jon Beswetherick was one of the few to shine for the Pilgrims. Heady stuff.

Line up: Paul Edwards‚ Dominic Richardson (Luke Vinnicombe 75)‚ Neil Saunders‚ Stuart Smith‚ Nick Marker‚ Scott Rogers‚ Kevin Nancekivell (Russell Jee 87)‚ Steve Ovens (Ryan King 72)‚ Phil Everett (Richard Pears 72)‚ Pete Conning (Pete Varley 75)‚ Dave Leonard.

PLYMOUTH ARGYLE 1 John Hodges‚ 2 Wayne O´Sullivan‚ 3 Jon Beswetherick‚ 4 Paul Wotton‚ 5 Sean McCarthy‚ 6 Adam Barrett‚ 7 Martin Barlow‚ 8 Jason Peake‚ 9 Ian Stonebridge‚ 10 Paul McGregor‚ 11 Adrian Clarke‚ 12 Lee Phillips‚ 13 Jon Sheffield‚ 14 Steve Adams (for 16, 67m), 15 Terry Fleming (for 2, h/t), 16 Steve Guinan (for 11, h/t).

This report ©2000 Nigel Davis

Please note: The � or ? character in some older reports denotes where an error has occured in translation when the reports were transfered between databases