Match report

Tiverton Town 4 - 2 Cirencester Town

   Wednesday 20/10/1999   Southern League Cup
Nigel Davis

Kevin Nancekivell ran the Cirencester defence ragged in a thrilling match in which‚ once again‚ Tivvy showed superb resilience and character to come from behind and win. Kevin ran‚ as he always does‚ until his cows come home and scored two very important goals; the equalliser and the sealer. A mention too for Pete Varley‚ who despite being not fully match fit‚ had an excellent game and scored an excellent goal to give Tivvy the lead at a crucial moment in the game.
It was a good all round performance from the team. They dominated the first half‚ although we had to wait until the 20th minute for Steve Daly to get Tivvy´s first‚ not the prettiest of goals admittedly‚ but well worked. The ever present Phil Everett crossed precisely to Dominic Richardson to head back across the face of goal for Steve Daly to tap in. Tivvy did have an excellently well worked goal disallowed on 10 minutes when Phil Everett was adjudged to be offside. Phil got to Graham Waters´ great cross with a diving header and stuck it inside the far post.
On 30 minutes and somewhat against the run of play‚ Cirencester were awarded a penalty which was efficiently dispatched to even the score. However‚ two minutes later they didn´t help their cause when Scott Griffin was sent off for an outrageously late and high tackle on Graham Waters. The numerical disadvantage did not hamper Cirencester as they held Tivvy and caused a few problems. This was more evident in the second half‚ which was only five minutes old when Cirencester took the lead with a well taken goal in which Neil Saunders will be disappointed with‚ as he was slow to close his man down.
Cirencester then started to run things as Tivvy lost a little of their shape as they started to chase the game‚ but gradually‚ with help of Richard Pears on for Paul Tatterton‚ Tivvy pressed forward and created several scoring chances‚ notably from Phil Everett and Steve Daly who‚ on any other day would surely have stuck them in.
It was only a matter of time that Tivvy would get the equalliser and they did‚ albeit a bit late for the feint hearted‚ on 81 minutes.
Cirencester with their 10 men started to look a bit tired in the last minutes and this proved to be the case‚ as in extra time Tivvy had an extra gear and it was only a matter of time‚ in fact 10 minutes‚ when Pete Varley scored a lovely goal to restore Tivvy´s lead and two minutes later Kevin Nancekivell sealed the game and put us the next round.
Line up: Edwards‚ Richardson‚ Saunders‚ Tatterton‚ Rogers‚ Nancekivell‚ Varley‚ Everett‚ Daly‚ Waters.
Subs: Pears (Tatterton 65)‚ Smith (Tallon 90) Vinnicombe (Waters 105).

This report ©1999 Nigel Davis

Please note: The � or ? character in some older reports denotes where an error has occured in translation when the reports were transfered between databases