The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club

Tiverton Town 1 - 2 Truro City

Wednesday 21/04/2010   Southern League Premier Division
Tivvy Archive

Tiverton Town’s Premier Division fate will be decided at Bedford on Saturday after Martyn Rogers’ team surrendered a slender lead to lose 2-1 against Truro City on Wednesday evening. Joe Bushin notched his 15th goal of the season to send the Yellows in at the break one ahead, but former Tivvy defender Barry McConnell levelled from the spot and Joe Broad then fired in the winner four minutes from time.

The tension was tangible at Ladysmead and in a scrappy first half there were few chances on goal at either end. Broad looped a header goalwards that Book saved comfortably, and Martin Watts’ powerful drive was bravely blocked by Mike Booth as Truro settled into the game quicker. But Tiverton gradually came into contention and Colin Marshall was desperately unlucky not to break the deadlock just before the half-hour mark. The Tiverton midfielder beat Watts on the right flank but then shot just wide when well placed.

Jamie Hatch brought out a save from Truro goalkeeper Tom Brooks following good work from Liam head as the Yellows battled hard in midfield and began to gain the upper hand. And four minutes before the break their determination was rewarded when Hatch slid a perfect through ball for Bushin to beat the offside trap and finish calmly.

The goal was Tiverton’s first at home in over eight hours of football, and the relief was apparent, but Truro didn’t allow the hosts to consolidate as they immediately set about pinning Town back.

Tivvy held on until the interval but were forced deep for much of the second period, and Watts spurned a great chance when he headed Andrew Taylor’s cross over the bar from ten yards.

However, a little more composure in front of goal would have given Tiverton some breathing space as they twice broke from deep. Bushin poked a shot a yard over on the hour, and as the game entered the closing stages Elliott Frear was denied when Brooks saved low down at his right post.

But with just six minutes remaining Truro got back on level terms and the game turned in a cruel twist. Liam Head was adjudged to have handled in the area, and McConnell slotted the resultant penalty into the bottom corner, Book getting a hand to the shot but not being able to keep it out.

And just two minutes later the game was turned on its head, and Tiverton’s whole season put in the balance. Tom Gardner’s weak clearance fell invitingly for Broad, and the former Plymouth and Torquay midfielder took one touch to bring the ball under control and a second to smash a 25-yard shot just inside the upright.

Adam Mortimer replaced the distraught Gardner for the final throes and saw a late header from Marshall’s corner saved by Brooks. And with Tiverton committing men forward in a desperate attempt to salvage a point from a game they had looked like winning Les Afful should have sealed the victory for Truro in added time, but took the ball too wide after racing clear from his own half.

The defeat means Tiverton will be hoping that Cambridge City do them a favour when they play Hemel Hempstead this evening, but should the Hertfordshire team gain a point then Tivvy will need to win at Bedford to guarantee their place in the Division. And should Hemel beat Cambridge then Tiverton will be relying on at least one of Hemel, Merthyr or Evesham to slip up on the final day of the season.

Tiverton Town: Steve Book, Jake Wannell, Alex Faux, Mike Booth, Adam Faux, Tom Gardner (Adam Mortimer 89), Jamie Hatch, Colin Marshall, Joe Bushin, Liam Head, Dean Stamp (Elliott Frear 70)
Goals: Bushin 41
Booked: None
Sent off: None

Truro City: Tom Brooks, Barry McConnell, Martin Watts, Arran Pugh, Jake Ash, Danny Clay, Andrew Taylor, Joe Broad, Stewart Yetton (Andy Watkins 59), Marvin Brown (Les Afful 59), Steve Adams
Goals: McConnell (pen) 84, Broad 86
Booked: None
Sent off: None

Attendance: 324

This report ©2010 Tivvy Archive