Match report

Tiverton Town 1 - 1 Weston-super-Mare

   Monday 28/08/2000   Southern League First Division
Nigel Davis

Well what can you say. Sometimes you just don´t get what you deserve. Tivvy had Weston under the cosh for most of this game. Weston had Tivvy under the cosh as well‚ but theirs was of an aggressive nature and more often than not‚ just a blatent attempt to disrupt the game and harm the Tivvy players. As it was‚Weston had Shaun Wharton sent off for an off the ball elbow into Jason Rees´ face‚ in fact he could have walked for three other earlier outragious elbows. Steve Ovens‚ on for Pete Varley had a boot in the face and had to be substituted. Pete Varley put Tivvy ahead from a corner midway through the first half‚ nodding in at the far post from a Steve Daly flick-on. Weston equalised mid way through the second half through a scrappy goal from a corner.
So to the game. Tivvy looked good in the opening minutes‚ playing and using the ball well. They created some good chances‚ the best of which came when Jason Rees picked out Scott Rogers‚ who tried to volley first time on the turn‚ but he slightly mistimed his kick and the ball ran through to the keeper. The game was 17 minutes old when Weston put the ball in the back of net. From a free kick‚ the ball missed everyone and bounced straight into the goal‚ but luckily for Tivvy someone was standing offside. Steve Daly was taken to the treatment room following an elbow in the back of his head from the already mentioned Shaun Wharton‚ who didn´t even get a caution. Tivvy played for 6 minutes with 10 men until Steve Daly reappeared with a heavily bandaged head.
Scott Rogers was very unlucky not to have scored when on 23 minutes he met a perfect Dave Leonard cross with his head‚ but he didn´t get over the ball enough and it looped inches over the bar. Three minutes later Paul Edwards was called upon to make a stunning close range reflex save from what was really Weston´s only shot on goal in the first half.
Tivvy´s much deserved goal came from Pete Varley after 36 minutes following excellent work by Scott Rogers. Scott´s determined run to the byline earned a corner‚ which he took. The ball found Steve Daly´s bandage and the resultant flick-on was nicely met by Pete who nodded in at the far post.
The second half continued much as the first with Tivvy continually pushing forward and Weston guilty of time wasting and other dubious tactics. However‚ it was Weston that got the next and equallising goal. Very much against the run of play Weston won a corner and somehow‚ following a frantic scramble Phil Everett´s attempted clearance richocheted of Dave Leonard and went in.
Scott looked to have put Tivvy back in front just two minutes later‚ but his curling shot went just wide of Weston´s far post.
Somewhat surprisingly‚ Pete Varley was replaced by Steve Ovens after 60 minutes. Steve was just getting into his stride when an ugly off the ball incident involving Weston´s Shaun Wharton and Jason Rees stopped the game. Jason was felled by either a punch or an elbow. Luckily the linesman saw the incident and after consultation the referee had no hesitation in showing him the red card.
Jason however‚ soon composed himself and shortly afterwards picked out Phil Everett superbly. Unfortunately‚ Phil´s excellent header was saved at the foot of the near post by Kearns in the Weston goal. Stuart Smith came on for LukeVinnicombe and immediately made an impact‚ so too did the studs of a Weston boot into the face of Steve Ovens‚ who had to come off for Pete Conning after playing for just half an hour.
The last half an hour of the game saw constant pressure from Tivvy - Scott Rogers‚ Steve Ovens and Phil Everett all going tantalisingly close. It also saw Weston put everyone behind the ball and seem more than happy to have a point as they continued with their enormously frustrating tactics of time waisting. The referee added on ten minutes but it was not enough time for Tivvy to get their deserved winner despite coming tantalisingly close on numerous occasions. Neil Saunders´ diving header rattling the cross bar in the dying minutes summed up this frustrating game.

Line up: 1. Paul Edwards‚ 2. Luke Vinnicombe‚ 3. Neil Saunders‚ 4. Paul Tatterton‚ 5. Nick Marker‚ 6. Scott Rogers‚ 7. Jason Rees‚ 8. Pete Varley‚ 9. Phil Everett‚ 10. Steve Daly‚ 11. Dave Leonard‚

Subs: 12. Pete Conning (Steve Ovens 90)‚ 14. Stuart Smith (Luke Vinnicombe 75‚ 15. Steve Ovens (Pete Varley 60).

This report ©2000 Nigel Davis

Please note: The � or ? character in some older reports denotes where an error has occured in translation when the reports were transfered between databases