Home Contact Us

Gloucester City 2 - 3 Tiverton Town

   Tuesday 13/03/2001   Southern League First Division
Robin Matthews

Tivvy Town survived a major scare before emerging 3-2 winners at mid-table and up for sale Gloucester City last night. Lack-lustre Tivvy found themselves 2-0 down after only 25 minutes thanks to unfamiliar blunders by a ´flu-ridden´ Paul Edwards. After a lively opening‚ Steve Daly squandered the first clear opportunity when he fired weakly at Ally Hines from 10 yards out. Gloucester took the lead after 10 minutes with Karl Bayliss flicking on a long free kick and Steve Jenkins reacting the more quickly to net from a narrow angle. Nine minutes later Bayliss missed a great chance to double the lead‚ heading over at close range from a Jenkins corner. Kevin Nancekivell wasted an even better opening when he pounced on a loose ball and rounded Hines‚ but somehow hit the outside of the post. This proved to be costly as Gloucester quickly broke down the other end and‚ thanks to Jimmy Cox´s persistence‚ gained a corner. Paul Edwards made a hash of collecting the flag kick and Bayliss turned to score with ease. Kevin Nancekivell contrived to miss another golden opportunity on 30 minutes‚ Hines denying him at close range. Gloucester held firm until just before half-time‚ but then for the fourth time this season they surrendered a two goal cushion as on 34 minutes Steve Daly pulled one back when he unleashed a stunning 30-yard exocet of a volley. After collecting a defensive header from Danny Hunt he controlled the ball on his chest before firing a dipping volley over Hines. Steve Ovens‚ as with Nance‚ also spurned two glaring chances and in first half stoppage time he thought he had equalised but the linesman´s flag cut short his celebrations. Martyn Rogers must have had a few words to say during the interval as within 30 seconds of the restart Tivvy regained a much deserved parity when Steve Ovens squeezed the ball home following excellent approach play which was a joy to behold. The Gloucester defence were caught cold as Kevin Nanvekivell advanced unchallenged into the area before finding the unmarked Steve Ovens who scored with ease.
Following that equaliser Gloucester were reeling and could not get out of their own half. Tivvy´s pacy attacks created more openings for Steve Ovens and Phil Everett but their shooting was wayward. Tivvy sealed maximum points 20 minutes from time when the unmarked Phil Everett produced a clinical angled winner during a prolonged goalmouth scramble with Gloucester´s defenders spurning at least three chances to clear the ball. Gloucester raised themselves and attacked in numbers‚ but in doing so left gaps at the back which Tivvy could not capitalise on. Gloucster too had their chances‚ from a resulting corner‚ the ball was cleared off the line only as far as Gary Marshall whose effort through a crowd of players was grabbed by Paul Edwards. Then‚ with two minutes left‚ Cox seemed to be brought down in the area by Paul Tatterton but‚ to the frustration of Gloucester players and supporters‚ who were now baying for blood‚ and the delight of Tivvy players and supporters‚ referee Kevin Pike waved play on. As they say‚ Tis a funny old game. "It was one of Paul Edwards´s worst games for us‚ but he openly admitted he didn´t feel sharp‚" said a relieved Martyn Rogers. "The problem was the rest of the players didn´t help him for the first half-an-hour. "We had a bit of a go at them at half-time and in the end the players showed a lot of character." Indeed they did as Tivvy played some lovely football and could have had increased the scoreline if it were not for desparate defending and some wayward finishing.

Line up: 1 Paul Edwards‚ 2 Steve Winter‚ 3 Neil Saunders‚ 4 Paul Tatterton‚ 5 Stuart Smith‚ 6 Scott Rogers‚ 7 Kevin Nancekivell‚ 8 Steve Ovens‚ 9 Phil Everett‚ 10 Steve Daly‚ 11 Graham Waters.

Subs: 12 Pete Conning (Steve Daly 70)‚ 14 Dave Toomey (Steve Ovens 86)‚ 15 Richard Pears.

Gloucester City: A. Hines‚ M. Abbott‚ G. Dicks (B. Davis 77)‚ D. Hunt‚ M. Parnell‚ S. Jenkins (W. Steadman 90)‚ A. Tucker‚ K. Bayliss‚ J. Cox‚ P. Chenoweth, G. Marshall (N. Griffiths 85).

Referee: K. Pike (Gillingham, Dorset).

This report ©2001 Robin Matthews

Please note: The � or ? character in some older reports denotes where an error has occured in translation when the reports were transfered between databases