The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club

RC Warwick 1 - 4 Tiverton Town

Wednesday 15/03/2000   Southern League First Division
Nigel Davis

At the end of January Tivvy had the daunting task of playing seven of their next nine Dr Martens encounters away from Ladysmead. The first two resulted in defeats at Bilston and Stafford and‚ at that stage‚ only the most optimistic fan still held dreams of Premier football next season. Since that low spot‚ Tivvy have embarked on a run of seven league games without defeat‚ gleaning 19 points from a possible 21 and‚ following the victory in Warwick‚ are now third in the Western Division. Not only that but those seven games have seen Tivvy rattle in 20 goals with just five conceded. They have progressed to the semi-finals of the County Cup and notched friendly victories over Exeter City and Plymouth Argyle. No wonder the fans continue to flock in‚ home and away. They are witnessing - and inspiring - an extra flow of confidence in the side and‚ despite a patchy cat-and-mouse first 45 minutes (possibly due to playing in the unfamiliar white strip)‚ it all came good after the break.
    It was a strange game inasmuch that all four of Tivvy´s goals came from set pieces. As Phil Everett said on leaving the dressing room‚ this would constitute the basis of the ‘quiz´ question on the long coach journey back to Devon. “When was the last time that Tivvy scored four goals - all from set pieces?” to which yours truly responded “...and all created by one player” - in this case Pete Conning.
    Tivvy´s first real effort came in the 17th minute when Dominic Richardson thumped the ball towards the keeper´s left hand post. A quick dive later and the ball was out for a corner. Up stepped Conning and‚ with Everett getting his head to the ball to skim it into the centre of the six-yard box‚ there was Nicky Marker on hand to head Tivvy ahead.
    Warwick then upped the ante and enjoyed the lion´s share of possession‚ although never looking dangerous. That is until the 35th minute when Paul Eden let rip from outside the box‚ his dipping shot eluding Paul Edwards before zooming in under the bar for the equaliser. Yet‚ within minutes of the restart‚ Tivvy were back in command. Just four minutes had elapsed when Steve Ovens was squeezed out by two defenders on the right hand side of the box. Conning´s free kick was powerfully headed home by Phil Everett. 2-1. Then‚ ten minutes later‚ Everett was pushed over on the edge of the box. Somehow‚ PC found a gap in the Warwick wall and‚ with a slight deflection off Scott Rogers´ posterior‚ the ball was nestling in the net. The concensus was that this was Conning´s goal. Whatever‚ the three points looked safe.
    The icing on the cake came in the 82nd minute when‚ from another Conning corner‚ Dominic Richardson headed in the fourth and we were home and dry. There ought to have been time for a fifth but the referee mysteriously blew the final whistle after 44 minutes of the second half. But‚ time in Warwick‚ is in another dimension... Their next home game (on a Saturday against Redditch) kicks off at 3.15!
Line up: Edwards‚ Richardson‚ Saunders‚ Tatterton‚ Marker‚ Conning‚ Nancekivell‚ Ovens‚ Everett‚ Rogers‚ Smith.
Subs: Leonard (Smith 72)‚ Varley (Ovens 80)‚ Vinnicombe (Marker 81)‚ .

This report ©2000 Nigel Davis