Match report

Salisbury 1 - 2 Tiverton Town

   Saturday 12/11/2016   Southern League First Division
Simon Ellis

A victory for a streetwise side with plenty of Southern League experience was how the hosts reported their defeat, a thinly veiled compliment to the side that ended their unbeaten home league recorded, as Shortwood had done to the Yellows seven days earlier. Owen Howe opened the scoring shortly before half time, Tommy Wright capitalised on a defensive mix up to equalise before a calamitous own goal gifted the Yellows a thoroughly well earned victory and with Shortwood losing at Hereford, back intosecond place.

Managed by former Premier League striker Steve Claridge, the hosts home record of 17 points from a possible 21 was only bettered by table topping Hereford before kick off, and if Tivvy had been more than one up at half time, it would have been no unfair reflection on events. Man of the match Jamie Short restored to his preferred attacking midfield role was a constant menace to the Whites defence, the only blot on his performance was the yellow card he picked up means a one match suspension and the same for Rob Norrish.

Owen Howe returned to the starting 11 and gave Tivvy a half time advantage, capitalising on some slack defending to score from a tight for his eleventh league goal of the season, after Mike Landricombe had knocked down Ben Carters free kick. Howe struck the outside of a post early in the second half and Levi Landricombe produced a smart save from Whites keeper Alex Bass.

A long clearance from Bass had the normally assured Mike Landricombe at sixes and sevens and with time and space, Salisburys leading scorer Tommy Wright rounded Perry and tapped in the equaliser, and with the backing of over 700 turned up the heat in search of a winner. Calum Breckway left the field on a stretcher shortly after, with a reccurrence of a shoulder injury, then
Bass quickly went from hero to zero, rightly able to claim the assist for his sides leveller, he was definitely most culpable for what would prove to be Tivvys winner.

For those able to remember the young Taunton keeper Connor Sidley Adams mistake in a cup tie at Ladysmead a few years ago, this was a carbon copy. Unfortunate defender George Colson, who had only been involved for 5 minutes, rolled a simple back pass to Bass who completely missed his attempt at a clearance, allowing the ball to roll under his foot and nestle nicely in the corner to gift Tivvy the victory their performance, for the larger part of the match, had merited.

Tiverton Town: Joe Perry, Teigan Rosenquest, Nick Hurst, Ben Mammola, Steve Kingdon, Michael Landricombe, Jamie Short, Rob Norrish (Scott Rogers 75), Owen Howe (Tom Bath 90+4), Levi Landricombe, Ben Carter
Goals: Howe 42, Colson (OG) 78

Attendance: 705

This report ©2016 Simon Ellis