Match report

Tiverton Town 4 - 2 Bishop's Cleeve

   Saturday 19/11/2016   Southern League First Division
Simon Ellis

Not since January 2000 and Kevin Nancekivell has any Tiverton player managed to score 4 goals in a match on two occasions, but now Levi Landricombe can proudly add his name to that list after his salvo fired the Yellows to all 3 points against a Bishops Cleeve side whose first half performance made a mockery of their league position. Twice they fell behind, only to justifiably go in level at the interval but had no such answers in the second period, their plight not helped by the injury and the subsequent withdrawal of first choice keeper Matt Wieczorek, after a clash of heads with one of his own defenders.

The first of his latest quadruple came on 11 minutes. Teigan Rosenquest, starting in his prefered midfield role in place of the suspended Jamie Short, released Ben Carter, whose performance on any other day would have comfortably been awarded with another Man of the Match, and he put Landricombes first on a plate for him, which he duly gobbled up. Cleeve were quickly back on terms though with almost a carbon copy of the goal they had conceded. James Baldwins pace on their left got him away from the attentions of Mammola and his ball across was smashed home from close range by Jack Watts. Giant centre half Chris Pates then inadvertently sent Landricombe through on goal, not quite able to reach Perrys long clearance and with time, space and his usual composure in front of goal, he restored Tivvys advantage. Back came the visitors again and just before half time James Baldwin was clattered into by Perry, who was subsequently booked with sections of the crowd fearing a worse punishment and Jack Horrell despatched the resulting spot kick.

Pates afternoon got worse in the second half, whilst trying to defend a Nick Hurst cross, he collided with his own keeper and after several minutes of treatment from both physios, Wieczorek was replaced. The stand in keeper, Marc Wright, had had little if nothing to do for his first 10 minutes of action, until a rush of blood to the head saw him attempt to get to a through ball that Owen Howe was always favourite to get to and get there first he did only to be brought down. There was only going to be one taker of the resultant penalty and Landricombe duly obliged, smashing straight down the middle for his first treble since the 4-4 draw at Taunton in the FA Cup.

Cleeve pressed hard for another equaliser, only to be caught by the ultimate sucker punch. Howe released Nick Hurst and although a heavy touch seemed to have spurned the opportunity, the ball fell kindly for Landricombe to steady himself and seal the victory.

Tiverton Town: Joe Perry, Michael Landricombe, Nick Hurst, Ben Mammola (Jordan Walton 90), Steve Kingdon, Tom Gardner, Teigan Rosenquest, (Tom Bath 74), Scott Rogers, Owen Howe, Levi Landricombe, Ben Carter
Goals: Levi Landricombe 11, 26, 67, 90

Attendance: 188

This report ©2016 Simon Ellis