Match report

Tiverton Town 2 - 3 Swindon Supermarine

   Saturday 14/01/2017   Southern League First Division
Simon Ellis

Swindon Supermarine became only the second side so far this season to leave Ladysmead with ll three points - and it has to be said deservedly so - with goals from Brad Hooper's penalty in the first half and Connor Waldon and Callum Parsons in the second, whilst Levi Landricombe, back and fresh from his suspension, drew the sides level before half time, and Jamie Short scored late on, a goal which turned out to be nothing more than scant consolation.

An eventful first 45 whistled by. Eventual Man of the Match Landricombe was restored to the starting eleven after his enforced absence and, after his Player of the Month award for December before kick off, he was keen to show all what Tivvy had been missing early doors. An effort from distance comfortably saved and a volley after a long throw had fallen to him went narrowly wide in a bright starting period from the hosts. Marine though, to their credit, stood firm and began creating their own chances and on 37 were gifted the chance to take the lead. A flowing, passing move eventually found Josh Parsons, whos effort on goal was handled by Tom Gardner, and Hooper despatched the resulting spot kick.

Tivvy replied instantly. Firstly Landricombe rattled an effort in off the post, only to see his celebrations thwarted by a raised flag after Teigan Rosenquest, who had just replaced Tom Bath, had sent him through but the same two combined a minute later, only this time, Landricombe's effort was allowed to stand, much to the displeasure of several visiting defenders, notably captain Zak Westlake, who was cautioned.

Despite recent reports to the contrary, the pitch was in fine condition, and a mention must go to the groundstaff whose tireless work ensured the game would go ahead despite the best efforts of mother nature, and it must be said the visitors played the better football in the second half and were subsequently rewarded for it. Waldon restored their advantage after playing a neat one two with Marines stand out man Connor Thompson, and their third added 12 minutes from time after a defensive slip, Parsons raced clear and smacked a fine effort in to the top corner.

Gardner was inches away from scoring after Michael Landricombe had seen his header well saved as the Yellows laid siege to try and rescue something from the match, and while Short smashed home from close range with 2 minutes to go, and also a blatant push on Short in the area was un-punished, the visitors held on to claim all three points.

Tiverton Town: Joe Perry, Jmie Price, Nick Hurst, Ben Mammola, Steve Kingdon (Jordan Walton 81), Tom Gardner, Jmie Short, Michael Landricombe, Tom Bath (Teigan Rosenquest 38), Levi Landricombe, Ben Carter (Scott Rogers 57)
Goals: Levi Landricombe 39, Short 88

Attendance: 210

This report ©2017 Simon Ellis