Match report

AFC Totton 1 - 3 Tiverton Town

   Saturday 11/02/2017   Southern League First Division
Simon Ellis

Tivvy continued their march towards a place in the play off positions come the end of April with a comfortable victory over a struggling Totton side, all four goals coming in the first half. Levi Landricombe and Nick Hurst put Tivvy in control, Adam Wilde pulled one back before Mikey Williams, making a rare start for the first team in place of the injured Ben Carter, restored the two goal advantage.  With dissension rife amongst all those who reside at Totton's smart Testwood Stadium and the greeting "you'll score half a dozen today" it was no great surprise to anyone that the final result was what it was, especially when Landricombe's 31st of the season gave Tivvy the lead after 15 seconds. Yes, 15 seconds! No one will ever know for sure if it`s a record, but that aside, a dream start. His chest control from Michael Landricombe's ball forward sat up and with a swing of his slightly less favoured right foot, the ball was in the net before a percentage of the crowd had taken their places.

The dream start got even better on eight minutes, Hurst tapped in from close range after Jamie Price, who will miss the next two matches after picking up his tenth caution of the season, had struck the same upright that Landricombe's earlier goal had gone in off. Totton's forward forages thus far had nowhere near the same effect of that that their defensive line had been  subject to, but found themselves back in the match on 20 minutes.

Recently acquired from Gosport Borough, Wilde scored his first for Totton in his second spell at the club, a dipping left foot volley that flew into the top corner despite the best efforts of Man of the Match Joe Perry, and for all of Tivvy's early superiority, game on again. Tivvy were in no mood though to allow their hosts back into the match and re-established the two goal lead six minutes before the interval, Williams turned and fired home from close range after an excellent run and cross from Hurst had caused chaos amongst home defenders.

Totton were the better side in the second half, Tivvy limited to counter attacks which bore no fruit as the hosts looked to repair the damage of the first 45, but found their route to goal blocked by a well marshalled defence and on the occasions that was breached, Perry was in fine form, the stand out save from Dave Allen's header which was destined for the top corner.

Another plus for the Yellows was the return of Owen Howe, after his six-week absence due to the operation to remove his appendix, a welcome boost for the final twelve matches of the season.

Tiverton Town: Joe Perry, Jamie Price, Nick Hurst (Jamie Mudge 77), Michael Landricombe, Steve Kingdon, Tom Gardner, Jamie Short
Scott Rogers, Tom Bath (Owen Howe 68), Levi Landricombe, Mikey Williams (Jordan Walton 88)
Goals: Levi Landricombe 1, Hurst 8, Williams 39

Attendance: 272

This report ©2017 Simon Ellis