Match report

Mangotsfield United 1 - 2 Tiverton Town

   Saturday 25/02/2017   Southern League First Division
Simon Ellis

The Yellows away form so far this season is only bettered by table-topping Hereford, and another three points on the road last Saturday has them only a handful of victories away from securing a shot at promotion via the play offs. Jamie Price returned to the starting line-up after his suspension, as did Levi Landricombe and Scott Rogers from those who began in the previous midweek cup victory over Devon neighbours Bideford.

Owen Howe had already had a glorious chance go begging, his touch letting him down, before he fired Tivvy into a thirteenth-minute lead. This time his control was instant after Landricombe had flicked on Price's throw, and before defenders could recover Howe unleashed a vicious shot into the top corner for his fifteenth league goal, much to the delight of the supporters who had made the short trip to Mangotsfield's Cossham Street stadium. The hosts should have been back level minutes later though. After penalty appeals had been waved away, referee Kevin Morris awarded a corner (rather than the free-kick that should have been awarded for simulation) and eventual scorer Ryan Batten blazed over from close in with the goal at his mercy.

The rest of the first half whistled by without further incident and the Mangos made the better start to the second period, Joe Perry doing well to tip over Matt Groves's effort after Liam Monelle had sent him away. Save of the day though was from Mangos Steve Phillips, his oustretched leg made just enough contact with the ball to divert Jamie Short's effort wide after a neat one-two with Price as Tivvy looked to turn the match back in their favour.

Man of the Match Tom Gardner had been colossal in defence, although an error of judgement allowed Lewis Powell to race through on goal, but his blushes were spared as the returning Price found himself perfectly positioned to head Powell's goal bound effort off the line, minutes before Nick Hurst sealed all three points. Landricombe sent him scampering away down the left flank before he cut inside and fired an effort on goal which took a sizeable deflection off Batten to completely wrong foot Phillips. Mangotsfield were not finished though; Batten's direct free kick flew into the top corner deep in to stoppage time and they had Tivvy hearts racing as they piled forward in search of an equaliser with a late corner, all which proved to be too little too late.

Tiverton Town: Joe Perry, Jamie Price, Nick Hurst (Teigan Rosenquest 86), Michael Landricombe, Steve Kingdon, Tom Gardner, Jamie Short, Rob Norrish, Owen Howe (Tom Bath 89), Levi Landricombe, Scott Rogers
Goals: Howe 13, Hurst 82

Attendance: 141

This report ©2017 Simon Ellis