The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club

St Ives Town 1 - 2 Tiverton Town

Saturday 07/10/2017   Southern League Premier Division
Simon Ellis

For a first ever meeting between two sides, any media reports would want to focus mainly on events of a footballing kind and so it shall be. Unfortunately, though, the majority of the two hundred and fifty-one, and certainly those who had made the cross-country trek to the Westwood Road Stadium, will have a greater memory of the match for a slightly less glamorous reason. Jordan Rogers' return to the starting eleven, following his enforced absence after his recent dismissal at Merthyr, lasted just eleven minutes. A sickening, and it must be added accidental clash of heads with St Ives goalkeeper James Goff early on left Rogers with the kind of injuries seen at the end of a boxing contest, several hours spent under medical attention, and what will doubtless be an extended period out of the game.

Back to footballing matter,s and Tivvy returned to Devon with all three points after Rogers' replacement and eventual Man of the Match Owen Howe scored a brace to cancel out the hosts' opener to put an end to the Yellows recent down-turn in form and propel them back up the league standings. Early action was at a frantic pace and decent chances for both sides to open their accounts for the afternoon soon presented themselves: Rogers fired high from the edge of the box; Martin Rice did well to divert Peter Clark's effort wide following a quick break; Michael Landricombe headed over from close range from a Nick Hurst corner; and smart defending from Jamie Price prevented James Hall from getting in on goal; all before the unfortunate turn of events.

Rogers and Goff contested a bouncing ball which Rogers got to first and despite the obvious lack of intent or malice in the challenge, referee Hallam Cutmore was left with no option but to show Goff red and `Ives midfielder Lewis Hilliard assumed the goalkeeping duties. Twelve minutes passed before the game resumed as a result of Rogers' injuries, all in yellow were clearly shaken by what had happened and despite being a man down the hosts took advantage and soon after, took the lead, Clark allowed time and space to measure his options on the left before his cross was inadvertantly turned home past his own keeper at the back post by the unfortunate Callum Hall on twenty-six. Liam Gregory replaced Tom Gardner soon after as the Yellows switched to a seldom seen 4-4-2 formation and as a result they would go on to spend large periods of the rest of the half in possession without ever really testing Hilliard, apart from on one key occasion as the hosts defended in numbers. Howe eventually squeezed in the equaliser on forty-five, Levi Landricombe's ball forward bounced awkwardly and despite the close attention of defenders, the sides went in level at the interval.

The second half, under worsening conditions as the heavens well and truly opened, followed in a similar vein to that of the majority of the first, the Yellows with lots of possession without again unduly testing or troubling Hilliard, and St. Ives continued to keep the Tivvy back-line on their toes with Clark and Hall's pace on the break. St. Ives debutant centre half Andrew Iwediuno had looked reasonably assured at the back until a complete mix-up between him and Hilliard presented Howe with a long range open goal which he dragged wide as the Yellows turned the screw in search of a winner which eventually materialised nine minutes from time. Callum Hall's cute ball inside off the wing to Levi Landricombe allowed space for Howe to run in behind, Landricombe stepped over the ball and Howe found space to drill in low from twenty yards, the sort of effort that even the most tried and tested goalkeepers would have struggled to get anywhere near, let alone an outfield stand-in. James Hall's free kick then produced a smart save from Rice as the hosts looked for a way back in to the match as time ticked away, but the Yellows held out and recorded their second league victory on the road this season and moved back up to sixth in the standings.

Tiverton Town: Martin Rice, Nick Hurst (Ollie Knowles 65), Callum Hall, Jamie Price, Ben Mammola, Tom Gardner (Liam Gregory 31), Jamie Short, Michael Landricombe, Jordan Rogers (Owen Howe 20), Levi Landricombe, Scott Rogers
Goals: Howe 45, 81

Attendance: 251

This report ©2017 Simon Ellis