The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club

Dorchester Town 6 - 0 Tiverton Town

Monday 22/04/2019   Southern League Premier Division
Simon Ellis

"Its been a really tough season" manager Martyn Rogers said before kick-off, "but considering the way things have panned out we`ve done well to stay out of trouble". Trouble that has not yet gone away though. Out-thought, out-fought and come the final whistle, humiliated. Just a few of the adjectives (the broadcastable ones) to sum up a horrendous day at the office and on an afternoon where the Yellows needed a result and a performance to ensure their Premier Division status they could muster neither as they crashed to their heaviest defeat of the season and as a result the battle to avoid the final relegation spot, although their fate remains in their own hands, goes down to the final day of the season.

Tom Blair and Luke Winsper had the hosts two goals to the good at the interval, Stewart Yetton won but then missed a penalty at the start of the second half and Jamie Price was sent off after picking up two quick-fire cautions before the Magpies ran riot adding four more through a Ben Seymour penalty, a Max Smallcombe own goal after some calamitous defending, Dorchesters Man of the Match Stan Jackson added the fifth and substitute Dom Panesar rubbed salt in to gaping wounds, firing home the sixth with what turned out to be the last kick of a dreadfully one-sided contest where the Yellows failed to register any shots on target.

Steve Colwell replaced Scott Rogers in the only change to the starting line up from those who had drawn with Harrow Borough previously and could only name Rogers and Isaac Furness on the substitutes bench while the hosts who lost one nil to Kings Langley last time out, playing at home for the final time this season, replaced Billy Lowes with Luke Winsper and after Blair had opened the scoring in just the second minute, Winsper justified his inclusion by adding a super solo-effort second before twenty minutes had been played before the Yellows eventually mustered some meaningful attacks, Tom Bath and Jamie Price narrowly off target shortly before the end of the half to spark some optimism amongst the travelling fans.

The second half was just four minutes old when, albeit briefly, the optimism levels raised again as referee Adam Baker pointed to the spot after Yetton had been felled, Yetton though failed to hit the target, as he had on several occasions in the previous match, sending his spot kick wide of the target and the potential route back in to the match was gone. Jamie Price was then given an early exit for picking up two quick-fire cautions just after the hour and from then on there was only going to be one outcome. Blair was barged over in the area and Ben Seymour added number three from the spot before Jordan Dyer thumped a clearance straight in to Smallcome for a calamitous own-goal fourth, a Kyle Egan cross was headed home by the Magpies Man of the Match Stan Jackson in the final minute of the ninety and second half substitute Dom Panesar Dower volleyed home the sixth from the edge of the box with the final kick of the match.

Tiverton Town: Liam Armstrong, Josh Key, Callum Hall, Jamie Price, Ben Mammola, Jordan Dyer, Max Smallcombe, Steve Colwell, Stewart Yetton (Isaac Furness 71), Tom Bath, Harrison Davis (Scott Rogers 74)

Attendance: 422

This report ©2019 Simon Ellis