The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club

Tiverton Town 2 - 2 Hayes & Yeading United

Saturday 10/08/2019   Southern League Premier Division
Simon Ellis

And so the new season is upon us, barely time to draw breath from the end of the last campaign before it all starts again and with that comes the optimism of what could hopefully lie ahead. Optimism that was put to one side on an opening day that could have gone so much better though as the Yellows surrendered a two goal lead. It is worth remembering, of course, that just one of the starting eleven from yesterdays draw with the newly promoted Hayes & Yeading featured in last seasons curtain closing one all draw at home to Beaconsfield Town, that being the ever-dependable Michael Landricombe and even in the upper echelons of football such a raft of changes takes time to bed in so to speak.

A goal up inside the opening five minutes, Michael Landricombe climbing highest to nod home a River Allen cross and the newly on loan signed Torquay United youth striker Olaf Koszela added the Yellows second of the afternoon before sixty seconds of the second half had elapsed and all was rosy. Back came the visitors though and James Clark tapped in from close range on fifty three before their chances of completing the comeback took a huge dent when Matt Hall picked up his second caution of the afternoon and duly spent the rest of the match in the away dressing room, but complete the comeback they did when second half substitute Ogo Obi drilled home from twelve yards with twenty minutes to go.

The visitors, who scored for fun last season as they cantered to their Central Division title registered no shots on target in the opening forty five such was the control of the new look Yellows back line whilst playing attractive football in large spells going forwards but the lead was only one at the interval. A lead they took as early as the fifth minute, after Man of the Match George Nancekivell was only fractionally off target with a well struck shot, when River Allen hung up a cross and Michael Landricombe out-jumped Hayes keeper Ravan Constable to head home before a giant Lewis Williams clearance almost embarrassed Constable and River Allen was only narrowly off target with another long range strike and the second half had not lapsed more than sixty seconds when the Yellows doubled their lead through Koszela. Jared Lewington chased Constable for a through ball, a race which Constable won but the goalkeepers attempted clearance clattered in to one of his own defenders and fell perfectly for Koszela to curl home into the unguarded net for a lead that their performance had merited.

The visitors finally managed to register their first effort on target on fifty-three minutes when an effort from full back Toby Little was smartly saved by Williams but Hayes quickly recycled the ball and eventually worked it to James Clark who was afforded the time and space to tap in from close range and seemingly out of nowhere, game on again before their chance of completing the comeback took a huge blow. Matt Hall had already been cautioned in the first half and he picked up his second yellow of the afternoon just five minutes after the goal for sending Noah Smerdon flying as the Yellows burst forward again but complete the comeback they eventually did with twenty minutes remaining as second half substitute Ogo Obi fired inside Williams near post from twelve yards.

The Yellows pushed forward in search of a late winner, Jordan Dyer headed narrowly over and Lewington saw a late chance blocked by the outstretched leg of a defender and so a share of the spoils on the opening day not the worst result to begin the season but the manner in which it happened will have definitely left the visiting dugout the happier one at the full time whistle.

Tiverton Town: Lewis Williams, Jordan Dyer, Noah Smerdon, George Nancekivell, Michael Landricombe, Nick Grimes, Jordan Bastin (Tyler Elliott 85), River Allen, Jared Lewington, Olaf Koszela, Chris Shephard
Goals: Landricombe 5, Koszela 46

Attendance: 232

This report ©2019 Simon Ellis