The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club

Banbury United 3 - 1 Tiverton Town

Saturday 20/08/2005   Southern League Premier Division
Sam Lear

With the absence of captain Nathan Rudge‚ Tiverton Town missed a leader as they fell to a 3-1 defeat to the hands of Banbury United.

The Oxfordshire side were 3-0 up at half time thanks to goals from George Redknap‚ Jon Gardner and Andy Baird. However‚ a more spirited second half display from the Yellows was rewarded with a headed goal by Stewart Yetton to give Tiverton some respect to the score line.

Last season‚ Banbury and Chesham were the only two sides that did the double over Tiverton. Banbury have a 100% record over them as they have only played twice in their history. The score line last season was the same 3-1 score line with Tiverton´s only goal coming from a penalty by stand-in captain Steve Winter. Banbury strikes came from leading scorer Howard Forinton‚ who has joined Halesowen Town‚ Jody McKay and George Redknap‚ who scored again in this match.

However‚ the task of breaking the duck was even harder‚ when the news that Nathan Rudge would be out for at least six weeks‚ Mike Walker replaces him in the side. Rudge also missed the game on Tuesday night against Bath City‚ when they lost 1-0.

Martyn Rogers made a couple of changes to the side that lost against Bath‚ George Friend‚ who has signed from Exeter City‚ in a swap deal with the outgoing Chris Vinnicombe‚ replaces Shaun Goff‚ who dropped to the bench. Dave Hambly replaced Kevin Wills‚ who was one of two who received their marching orders against in mid-week. There was still a place for Chris Holloway‚ despite his red card.

It was a quiet start‚ with Tiverton having the early possession‚ but they couldn´t make that count with some solid Banbury defending. It took 15 minutes for the first bit of excitement when Tom Gould‚ a new arrival from Forest Green‚ received a yellow card‚ after a clumsy tackle on Andy Baird. Gould has received a card in each of the opening three games.

Tiverton had their first real chance when Winter played a through ball to Jamie Mudge‚ on the right-hand side‚ who ran at the defence and fired a shot from the edge of the area‚ only to be parried by Simon Tricker‚ for a corner.

This was the best to be seen by Tiverton in the first half‚ as Tiverton were being pushed back into their own penalty area for the rest of the half. The Puritans showed Tiverton how to score with their first real chance‚ when Redknap ran at the defence from the right and curled a shot from the edge of the area‚ which rebounded off the far left post‚ and into the back of the net‚ to send the Banbury supporters into raptures‚ after 21 minutes.

Two minutes later‚ Baird pounced on a defensive lapse and rounded Ovendale‚ he sent a shot towards goal‚ but Gould was there to clear the ball off the line‚ to save Banbury going two up. This effort didn´t count for much because in 33rd minute‚ a free-kick from the edge of the area‚ was hammered into the top corner by Gardner‚ after Milsom fouled and received a caution.

The Puritans extended their lead further seven minutes later‚ when Jon Gardner played a through ball down the left to Redknap‚ who laid a square ball to Andy Baird on the edge of the area and cannoned his shot past Ovendale.

Ovendale saved further embarrassment, after Baird dispossessed Walker 20 yards out, and his shot was well parried to leave Tiverton with a glimmer of hope in the second half, to regain some respectability.

Martyn Rogers must have made himself clear in his half-time team talk because Tiverton came out with more fight and passion to their game. They had good build-up play and supported each other well, to give the Tiverton supporters something to cheer about. Nine minutes into the second half, a Winter corner found the head of Tom Gould, whose header hit the bar and over for a goal kick.

Banbury did hit back when Baird dispossessed Walker on the half way line and sent a low ball to Redknap 20 yards out, whose effort was parried and cleared to safety. There were two bookings in the space of two minutes, when Wayne Blossom was booked for a late tackle on Holloway. Another new signing for Tiverton, Chris Bale, was also cautioned with a foul on Ady Fuller in the 63rd minute. Martyn Rogers decided to be more attackive, by taking off youthful midfielder Hambly, and putting on experienced striker Kurt Nogan.

Tiverton, in the 68th minute had their best move of the match, when they strung 15 passes together. That move, however, ended in disappointment when Holloway blasted over from 25 yards. That summed up their day.

The Yellows were rewarded with their second half efforts in the 77th minute, when Bale on the right, crossed to the unmarked Yetton, who headed it in the top left corner despite Sullivan´s best efforts to clear.

A minute later, Walker was lucky to be on the field, when he tripped Baird, who was, according to the Banbury faithful, through on goal, but the referee gave him a yellow card. When the free-kick was being prepared, Walker was involved with an off the ball incident, which was seen by the assistant referee, but a final warning was issued.

Then, a minute of madness in the 84th, when Ollie Stanbridge was through on goal but his shot was blocked by Ovendale and came back to the ex-Northampton trainee´s head, but his header was miraculously held by the ´keeper, at full stretch to his left. The resulting punt was controlled by Shaun Goff and ran towards the penalty area, and the outgoing Tricker, he was forced wide but his cross, found Stewart Yetton, who had a virtually empty net, missed, with the pressure of the Banbury defence.

There was enough time for Tiverton to have one last chance, when deep into stoppage time, a Winter corner found Nogan unmarked 12 yards out, but his volley, somehow, was headed off the line by Sullivan. Martyn Rogers couldn´t believe his luck.

The final whistle blew, to a roar from the crowd, to condemn Tiverton to their second loss in as many games. Tiverton will be looking to put that right against Mangotsfield United, managed by ex.-Tiverton assistant manager and player Martyn Grimshaw plus Rob Cousins, who was released last season.

Banbury United: Tricker; Blossom, Kackson, Sullivan, Pond, Fuller, Stanbridge, Lamb (King 82), Redknap, Baird, Gardner (Potter 86)
Goals: Redknap 21, Gardner 32, Baird 37
Booked: Blossom 59

Tiverton Town: Mark Ovendale, Steve Winter, George Friend (Shaun Goff 57), Tom Gould, Mike Walker, Paul Milsom, Dave Hambly (Kurt Nogan 65), Chris Bale, Stewart Yetton, Chris Holloway, Jamie Mudge
Goal: Yetton 76
Booked: Gould 15, Milsom 30, Bale 61, Walker 76

Attendance: 380

This report ©2005 Sam Lear