The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club

Hayes & Yeading United 0 - 0 Tiverton Town

Saturday 04/01/2020   Southern League Premier Division
Jay Richardson

Sometimes you go away from home and rue missed chances and three points that have slipped away. This was not one of those occassions. The draw at a very impressive Hayes & Yeading side at the equally impressive SkyEx Stadium should be viewed as a point gained not two dropped.

Hayes & Yeading were on a good run of form winning their last 5 out of seven matches. Whilst Tiverton were the league's best away form team. Tivvy went into the match without Jordan Dyer who was playing for Exeter City 1st team against Ipswich Town and Lewis Williams who was concussed during the New Year's Day victory over Taunton Town.

Former Southampton & Torquay academy goalkeeper Neal Osborn was drafted in to cover for Williams. The back four was Pierce Mitchell, Mike Landricombe, Mike Peck and Noah Smerdon. The midfield engine room saw George all action Nancekivell, Steve Pirlo Colwell and captain fantastic River Allen. The front three were Little Sheps and Jordan Bastin with the hero from the Taunton game Alex Fletcher leading the line. The subs were Tyler Elliott, Brad Riggs, George Rogers and Scott Rogers.

The opening half was a cagey affair with little goalmouth action apart from a curler from Jake Sheppard and another shot from Fumnaya Shomotun that just went the wrong side of Neal Osbornes post for the home side. A worrying moment occurred early on when new signing Manny Duku from Torquay chased a long ball and collided with Neal Osborn there was an anxious wait to see if the Tivvy keeper could continue whilst his ankle looked worse for wear. Fortunately for Tivvy the big keeper was able to continue but his kicking was impaired. The best move of the game then saw Steve Colwell have a sight of goal but Jack Smith was straight in line to make the save.

The second half saw chances at both ends with Ogo Obi who scored in the reverse fixture pace causing problems. Tivvy however were putting their bodies on the line and young Mike Peck was standing firm in an impressive first start for the Plymouth Argyle player. Further chances came to Obi and Shephard for the home team but Osborne twice pulled of great stops to deny the hosts. Tivvy then had a Jordan Bastin header beat Jack Smith all ends up but the ball agonisingly came back of the crossbar.

The final ten minutes the game came alive with Tivvy thinking they had grabbed the winner when Pierce Mitchell had a zinger of a shot going straight into the top bin only for Jack Smith at the last second to put up a strong hand to touch the ball over. Noah Smerdon then had a 30 yarder howitzer tipped over by the home keeper Smith.

The last meaningful action saw Manny Duku break free and with just Osborn to beat Tivvy's new keeper brought off a fine save low down to give the Devon side a share of the spoils.

There won't be many teams who will come away with points from the SkyEx and Tivvy look forward to a home game with Poole Town next Saturday.

Tiverton Town: Neal Osborn, Pierce Mitchell, Noah Smerdon, George Nancekivell, Michael Landricombe, Michael Peck, Steve Colwell (Tyler Elliott 69), River Allen, Alex Fletcher, Jordan Bastin, Chris Shephard

Attendance: 236

This report ©2020 Jay Richardson