Match report

Tiverton Town 0 - 0 Mangotsfield United

   Saturday 15/10/2005   FA Trophy
Chris Bell

Tiverton built on there recent improved form in this absorbing FA Trophy 1st qualifying round tie at home to Mangotsfield‚ but failed to land the killer blow despite a number of excellent chances. With Goff out with a broken toe‚ new loanee Darren Davies made his debut at left back with a heavily strapped Yetton and Mudge continuing up front. Shirt numbers were juggled to try and confuse the visiting Nuneaton spies but unfortunately the programme still told the true story.

Davies was soon in the action in both attack and defence showing good pace and control‚ but it was Mangotsfield who applied the early pressure with Tivvy unable to clear their lines as a series of attacks and free kicks flowed around the home penalty box. The early pressure resisted they then began to go on the offensive with Winters spraying 50yard passes to both wings and Davies just getting his head to a Mudge cross but missing the target.

With a quarter of an hour gone Mudge judged his run off the back of the Mangotsfield defensive line to perfection and latched onto a through ball. On goal with just Greaves to beat you wouldn´t have bet on him missing but he did‚ firing past the post. Yetton and Mudge then combined well for Mudge to shoot‚ his blocked shot being fired over the bar by Bale. Tivvy were now looking marginally the stronger side with Prince who has always caused problems in the past being largely neutralised. This despite Mudge clearly not enjoying his afternoon and seeming to nurse an injured shoulder.

A Davies throw in was worked across the pitch by Ampadu and Yetton to Booth steaming in but his cross shot flew across the area and just wide of the goal. Yetton then acted as provider to Bale in the six-yard box but the goalie saved. An Ampadu corner was then met full on by the ever improving Gardner but his header flashed over the bar. The final action of the half saw a Mudge cross reach Yetton who was facing away from the goal. No obvious danger except Yetton executed a spectacular overhead kick‚ which again narrowly missed with the keeper rooted to his line.

The second half opened with another period of sustained pressure on the Tivvy defence. Having weathered this they then lost Booth to a late tackle by Shore that earned him a yellow card. Holloway making a surprise return was the player to replace him. Mangotsfield then had a chance when a mis-directed pass put them in but Ovendale made a point blank save and Gardner cleared up the rebound. Tivvy were soon back on the attack but crosses into their opponents box found a lack of attacking players to take advantage. Daly and Ampadu combined to get Davies in and his firm shot was just save by a diving Greaves.

Nogan and Wills then came on for Yetton and Bale and it was Nogan who immediately had thechance to give Tivvy a deserved lead from a corner‚ but as on Tuesday night he placed his header over the bar. Mudge‚ who was having a better second half‚ then put in a deep cross that beat Greaves‚ but once again there was no one on the far post to take advantage. For a period it seemed that the changes had affected Tivvy more than the visitors and for a brief period Prince began to exert some influence on the game but the defence stood firm with Milsom putting in an imposing performance. Winters also had a much better afternoon although opinion was divided as to whether his MOM award should have gone to the big man instead.

All that was left was for Nogan to miss an even easier chance to save an unwanted trip to Bristol on Tuesday. Greaves was unable to hold Mudge´s shot and the ball ran to Nogan six yards out unmarked. A shot was called for but a touch was taken and a poor one at that which allowed a defender to half clear. Another shot then came in which had Greaves sprawling to save and that was it save the presentation of the Victor Meldrew award to Mangotsfield´s Nigel Webb.

Despite the frustration of a draw there was still much to be taken from this match. Seven weeks ago it had been the visitors that looked the cohesive unit. Not so today‚ it was Tivvy who shaded it and despite further changes and an off day for the strike force the performance suggested better things to come.

This report ©2005 Chris Bell

Tiverton Town 0 - 0 Mangotsfield United

   Saturday 15/10/2005   FA Trophy
Sam Lear

A trip to Mangotsfield is the outcome after Tiverton will rue not going into the hat for the next round‚ with Kurt Nogan being the main culprit.
It was certainly not a match you would like to invite your friends to‚ with the first 60 minutes containing very little action with Jamie Mudge´s spectacular overhead kick being the best chance of the first half.
The first piece of action was when Kwame Ampadu chipped the ball over Rob Cousins to Jamie Mudge through on goal‚ but he blasted his shot wide of the the left post.
Mike Booth then had his not unusual bursts of speed dopwn the right flank and he tried a spectular shot which missed the face of goal and out to no harm.
Pacey Luke Prince had a half volley from 20 yards out which missed the right post‚ to give Mangotsfield their first real effort on goal. Prince was the main problem for Tivvy all afternoon‚ with many of his runs outsmarting the Yellow´s defence.
Just before half-time‚ Steve Winter had a corner from the right‚ meeting the head of in-form Tom Gardner‚ but his header missed the mark. Tiverton´s poor final ball was the obstacle which prevented them going into half time with a deserved lead.
The second half began like the first‚ providing no real chances. It was the first yellow card of the game that provided the crowd of 564 with some action‚ Drew Shore was booked for a trip on Mike Booth‚ Mike Booth went off injured as a result.
Stewart Yetton then made his first impact on the game‚ with a dazzling run down the middle‚ with a shot that was easily held by Darren Greaves in the Mangotsfield goal.
Almost immediately afterwards‚ Mudge then had a crack from twenty yards which carried out the same result‚ the ball being held by Greaves.
With time running out and Tiverton desperately pushing men forward‚ Mudge held the ball on the left by-line‚ his cross was missed by Greaves and Winter was unable to capitalise‚ much to his annoyance!
Then‚ with five minutes to go came the best chance of the match‚ a goal mouth scramble in the Mangotsfield area‚ the ball found Nogan three yards out unmarked‚ with an easy tap in but his first touch was very poor and somehow missed the near open goal‚ and cleared by the very relieved Mangotsfield defence.
Tiverton must go up to Bristol with a very unnecessary match which could quite easily have been resolved today‚ it wasn´t to be and Tioverton must practice playing in the final third!

Tiverton: 1 Mark Ovendale 7‚ 2. Mike Booth 7(17. Chris Holloway 6)‚ 3. Tom Gardner 6‚ 4. Steve Winter 7‚ 5. Paul Milsom 7‚ 6. Kwame Ampadu 7‚ 7. James Mudge 6‚ 8. Steve Daly 6‚ 9. Chris Bale 7(15. Kevin Wills 6)‚ 10. Stewart Yetton 6(16. Kurt Nogan 6)‚ 11. Darren Davies 6. Subs not used: 12. Sam Croft‚ 14. Dave Hambly.

Mangotsfield: 1. Darren Grieves 7‚ 2. Alex Ball 6(15. Mark Summers 6)‚ 3. Drew Shore 6‚ Rob Cousins 6(16. Ollie Price 6). 5. Garry Warren 6‚ 6. James Zabek 6(17. Lee Howells 6)‚ 7. Chris Lane 6‚ 8. Ross Casey 6‚ 9. Rob Claridge 7, 10. Dave Seal 7, 11. Luke Prince 8. Subs not used: 12. Jason Eaton, 14, Tom Warren.

Attendance: 564

Referee: Mr.P Brown (Mr. T R Lawrence and Mr. M R Wills)

This report ©2005 Sam Lear

Please note: The � or ? character in some older reports denotes where an error has occured in translation when the reports were transfered between databases