The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club

Metropolitan Police 1 - 0 Tiverton Town

Saturday 19/02/2022   Southern League Premier Division
Paul Gray

Tiverton went into the game against a Met side that sat third in the league table  without  five first team regulars due to injury and illness. A late arrival at the ground due to heavy traffic didnt help either. But it was Tivvy who started the brightest when a Craig Woodman pass found Chris Shephard who sent a low ball across the edge of the box which was met by Dan Hayfield who's crisp shot went just wide of the far post. Next an Andy Watkins through ball found Nelson Iseguan but his shot was easily saved by Liam Beach in the Met goal. On five minutes the deadlock was nearly broken when Met number nine Jack Mazzone smashed his shot against the Tivvy crossbar after a quick breakaway.

Four minutes later and it was the turn of Met number eight Sam De St Croix to have a shot at goal but a brilliant tip over the bar by Lewis Williams  in the Tivvy goal kept the home side out. A Louis Morison long range effort nearly gave Tivvy the lead but Beach saved well for the home side. A minute later and Dan Hayfield picked up a pass from Nelson Iseguan and let fly with a shot that beat Beach in the Met goal but crashed on to the bar and was cleared by the home defence. Tiverton were looking the better of the two teams. On thirty eight minutes Tivvy new boy Harvey Greenslade found Hayfield who put a great cross into the box which was met by the head of Watkins but his header was brilliantly saved by Met keeper Beach. The last attack of the half fell to Tivvy's  Alfie Pond  but his header was straight into the arms of Beach and the half ended 0-0.

Tiverton got the second half underway hoping to carry on where they had left off in the first half. Pond picked up a early booking for a foul and three minutes later Liam Ferdinand who looked suspiciously off side put the ball over Williams head to put Met 1-0 up. Tivvy went all out looking for a equaliser that their play deserved a good pass from Pond was just to strong for Watkins to get on the end of. This was to be the last action of the day for Watkins who went down injured and was replaced by Heon Jin. Another Tivvy  chance fell to Pond but his shot was easily saved. This was followed by a Morison cross which was met by Iseguan but again Beach in the Met goal pulled off a great save to deny Tiverton.  Joe Belsten was fouled ten yards out from the Met box and the resulting free kick by Morison saw Greenslade dive full length to try and get his head to the ball but he was inches away from what would have given him his first Tivvy goal.

Next Hayfield went close with a shot which was saved well by Beach and went out for a corner to Tiverton. When the ball came into the box Pond got on the end of it but his header was easily saved. On sixty nine minutes Pond fouled and was shown a second yellow card and was off. This changed the momentum of the game as Tivvy had to re shuffle now they were down to ten men. Tiverton battled on but Met were now in control of the game and had a couple of half chances and were able to keep Tivvy out and see the game out.

This report ©2022 Paul Gray