Match report

Tiverton Town 2 - 5 Plymouth Argyle

   Friday 13/02/2004   Friendly
John Reidy

Pre season friendlies tend to be vaguely interesting‚ if only because of the possibility of 'running the eye' over new signings and prospective recruits. In mid season the same kind of game is even less likely to raise the enthusiasm of supporters‚ but can still serve a useful purpose - keeping players up to match fitness or generating a little bit of extra income - so with neither team having a league fixture over the weekend it was a logical arrangement for Tiverton Town and Plymouth Argyle to meet. Not only was it logical but also beneficial for both sides and entertaining for the fans that turned out to watch seven goals and some fine skills from both camps.

Despite finishing on the wrong end of a 5-2 scoreline‚ most of the home fans were happy with The depleted Yellows squad's showing as the Dr Martens outfit twice came from behind before subsequently succumbing to the Division Two side. For the majority of them the result was immaterial but most thought Tivvy deserved more than they got in the end. and that the final score flattered Argyle.

Out on the field the players that The Yellows were able to put into action showed that they were not lacking in ability‚ fitness or effort. Even when David Worrell crashed home a tremendous 40 yard drive to give the Pilgrims a 6th minute lead there were no signs of despair as Tiverton matched their visitors for much of the time. The first deserved equaliser came on 15 minutes‚ courtesy of Jamie Mudge heading home a fine cross from David Steele and it was not until Paul Wooton blasted home from 25 yards three minutes before the break that Argyle reclaimed the lead.

Three minutes after the interval it was all square again as Shaun Goff curled a fierce free kick from wide on the right into the Plymouth net. Realising that they were not going to be able to cruise home‚ the visitors upped their game and went back in front almost immediately with a looping header over Tiverton's debutante goalkeeper Kenny Griffiths from Gary Sawyer. The Pilgrims then firmly established the upper hand making their superior fitness and ability tell and Tiverton front men Darren Edwards and Mudge saw less of the ball. Ian Stonebridge added a fourth in the 79th and the final nail was banged home by Martin Phillips just before the final whistle.

Tiverton were beaten but not disgraced. They battled hard and earned the respect afforded them by their visitors. The fans were entertained and treated to seven fine strikes in a competitive but clean contest. What more could anyone ask for‚ other than three points from their next game?

Tiverton Town: Kenny Griffiths‚ Steve Winter‚ Shaun Goff‚ David Steele‚ Nathan Rudge‚ Rob Cousins‚ Kevin Nancekivell‚ Chris Holloway‚ Darren Edwards‚ David Hallett‚ Jamie Mudge

Plymouth Argyle: Kenny Schofield‚ David Worrell‚ Tony Capaldi‚ Steve Adams‚ Matt Villis‚ Gary Sawyer‚ Jason Bent‚ Paul Wooton‚ Blair Sturrock (Andy Watkin 69)‚ Ian Stonebridge‚ Martin Phillips

Attendance: 324

This report ©2004 John Reidy

Please note: The � or ? character in some older reports denotes where an error has occured in translation when the reports were transfered between databases