Match report

Tiverton Town 7 - 1 Liskeard Athletic

   Tuesday 08/08/2006   Friendly
Alan Reidy

The best things come to those who wait‚ so said a very wise man many years before you or I was even a twinkle in our fathers´ eye. And watching Tiverton Town through the pre-season period has taken some patience. Even good displays against Yeovil Town and Barnstaple Town yielded no goals‚ the solitary strike from the previous six matches coming in a 6-1 reversal against League One outfit Port Vale. But there was an unspoken astuteness regarding the schedule‚ and Liskeard´s manager‚ former Yellows wing-maestro Dave Leonard was happy to acknowledge after the game that he would be happy to bring his side back to Ladysmead next season to get a tonking! The choice of a lower-level team for the final warm-up match meant that the Tivvy players now move into the business end of the summer on the back of a convincing victory‚ and all the goalless games that preceded Liskeard´s visit are now firmly consigned to the archives.

Nobody will claim that Athletic are a strong team‚ but throughout the opening exchanges they gave as good as the got. For every Tivvy attack there was an attack at the other end of the pitch‚ and although the Cornish team didn´t threat Mark Rock´s goal with great conviction they proved nonetheless that they weren´t in town just to make up the numbers. Jamie Morrison-Hill‚ himself a former Tiverton player pulled a rasping shot wide of the target after only two minutes‚ while Paul Baker and Matt Cusack were combing well on the left flank‚ the former also shooting wide when well placed.

Tiverton´s first goal in over 400 minutes came via the unfamiliar right boot of Darren Davies. Chris Bale has escaped down the right‚ a position he was to frequent for much of the match with great effect‚ and his delivery evaded Sammy Matthews allowing Davies to side-foot the ball home from twelve yards. Bale was running the show even at such an early stage‚ and his persistence led to the second goal. A break from deep‚ and an evading of two tackles was followed by a shot that appeared to be searching the bottom corner. Simon Zinn was down quickly‚ however‚ to palm the ball out for a corner. Kwame Ampadu swung the ball to the far post when Danny Harris was there to nod his first goal in Tiverton yellow. Barry McConnell increased the lead five minutes before the interval‚ another header‚ this time from Bale´s cross‚ gave Zinn no chance‚ except for the chance to practice picking the ball out of the netting.

3-0 was probably a fair reflection on the first 45 minutes‚ although Liskeard could have felt a little hard done by‚ and had Daniel Nancarrow connected with more accuracy from an acrobatic scissors-kick then the Town goals against column would have taken a hit. As it was Nancarrow would get his chance a little later. In the meantime‚ Ampadu found himself on the scoresheet at the beginning of the second period‚ tapping in Mike Booth´s cutback. A lengthy stoppage to attend to Jimmy Kiely‚ who was injured under a challenge from Steve Flack was not enough to slow down the goal rush‚ and no sooner had the game restarted that Nancarrow headed in an early consolation goal for the visitors. It was reward enough for the spirit with which Liskeard approached the match‚ and only the Tiverton defence would begrudge the Blues striker a goal.

The remaining 30 minutes were one way traffic completely as superior fitness told. Holloway headed home Bale´s free kick to make it 5-1‚ Bale himself capped an outstanding personal performance with a beautifully struck effort‚ and Tom Gardner added a seventh with only seconds remaining. It could have been many more in the end‚ but McConnell dwelt too long as he waited for support‚ Jamie Skinner saw a 30 yard thunderbolt sail a foot or two over the crossbar‚ and Harris was denied by the woodwork from a direct free kick. A good exercise‚ a victory‚ goals-a-plenty‚ and now Hitchin Town; the Canaries will be a completely different kettle of fish‚ that is for sure‚ but Martyn Rogers will be quietly optimistic that the difficult summer is now behind him.

This report ©2006 Alan Reidy

Tiverton Town 7 - 1 Liskeard Athletic

   Tuesday 08/08/2006   Friendly
Sam Lear


1. Mark Rock
2. Mike Booth (3. Chris Vinnicombe 79´)
3. Chris Vinnicombe (12. Tom Gardener 46´)
4. Danny Harris
5. Nathan Rudge
6. Kwame Ampadu (14. Jamie Skinner 60´)
7. Barry McConnell
8. Chris Bale
9. Steve Flack (15. Richard Lammacraft 60´)
10. Chris Holloway
11. Darren Davies (16. Adam Kelly 60´)


1. Simon Zinn (1. Rob Brown 83´)
2. Jamie Morrison-Hill (12. Jo Davy 83´)
3. Aaron Cusack
4. Matt Hawke
5. Brinton Nute
6. Sammy Matthews
7. Paul Baker (16. Ross Saint 69´)
8. Jimmy Kiely (15. Barry Richardson 58´)
9. Daniel Nancarrow
10. James Alexander (17. Lee Harvey 77´)
11. Matt Cusack

Tiverton head off into the campaign on the back of a 7-1 win over former Tiverton server Leonard´s Liskeard.

Tiverton were at it from the start. With six minutes gone‚ Chris Bale ran down the right and crossed it to Steve Flack who flicked it on to the on rushing Darren Davies who slotted it past the keeper into the bottom right corner.

A good ball from Barry McConnell found Chris Bale on the right hand side‚ who twisted and turned past Brinton Nute‚ and his shot from the edge of the area was parried by Simon Zinn and went out for a corner after 25 minutes.

The resulting corner was whipped in by Kwame Ampadu which met the head of Danny Harris on the penalty spot and was deflected in by Matt Hawke which bamboozled the Liskeard custodian and trickled into the net.

Six minutes later‚ Tiverton added a third when a lovely ball by Danny Harris down the right found Chris Bale who squared it to Steve Flack. Flack managed to cross the ball to Barry McConnell who leaped over the Liskeard defence and added it into the top right corner.

Half time: Tiverton 3-0 Liskeard

Straight away from the kick off Barry McConnell powered a shot which was parried away by the keeper for Kwame Ampadu to tap in to put the game beyond all doubt.

However‚ the game was more even than the score suggested and Liskeard tried their best to do the same with the score line when in the 62nd minute‚ Jamie Alexander crossed in to Daniel Nancarrow‚ 2 yards out‚ who headed into the top corner leaving Mark Rock with no chance.

Tiverton hit back two minutes later when Liskeard gave a free kick away on the right hand side. Danny Harris whipped the ball in and Chris Holloway powered the header into the top left corner.

With two minutes to go‚ man of the match Chris Bale hammered in a sixth for the hosts to sum up Tiverton´s clinical finishing and to leave the spirits high for the opening game against Hitchin on August 19th.

There was still time for Tiverton to grab a seventh when a Skinner free kick was parried away by substitute Rob Brown and the rebound was crashed in by another substitute‚ Tom Gardener.

With almost every shot on target turning out to be a goal‚ it turned out to be a high scoring event despite it casualty. However Tiverton played well and their finishing impressed the 194 crowd and gave them hope for a successful campaign.

Full time: Tiverton 7-1 Liskeard

This report ©2006 Sam Lear

Please note: The � or ? character in some older reports denotes where an error has occured in translation when the reports were transfered between databases