Match report

Tiverton Town 2 - 2 Gloucester City

   Saturday 21/10/2006   FA Trophy
Sam Lear

Tiverton: Clapham‚ McConnell‚ Davies‚ Booth‚ Gardener‚ Thomas‚ Pepperell‚ Bale‚ Flack (Skinner 74)‚ Holloway‚ Mudge. Substitutes: Vinnicombe‚ Mason‚ Harris‚ Skinner.

Gloucester: Bath‚ Miller‚ Wilson‚ Mustoe‚ Hamblin‚ Welsh‚ Fowler‚ Reid‚ Bevan (Noakes 56)‚ Tustain (Randall 83)‚ Sykes. Substitutes: Ashford‚ Noakes‚ Harris‚ Randall‚ Thompson.

Referee: Mr. Philpott

Attendance: 479

Man of the Match: Nathanial Pepperell

Match Rating: ****

A typical cup tie gave both sets of supporters a great spectacle as a great comeback by Tiverton earned them a deserved replay.

The first real effort occurred after five minutes when the Tiverton goalkeeper‚ Clapham´s punt kick was too devious for the opposing goalkeeper who was forced to tip it over the bar for a corner-kick.

Debutant Nathaniel Pepperell gave the Tiverton supporters a sign of things to come when he tricked his way past Wilson‚ cut inside‚ and unleashed a shot from 20 yards which whistled over the bar with 17 minutes on the clock.

With ten minutes to go before half-time‚ Gloucester broke the deadlock when Fowler turned past Thomas and unleashed the shot from 25 yards out‚ Clapham parried the ball only for Welsh to score the easiest goal of his career‚ to make the Tiger´s roar.

Immediately from the re-start‚ Tiverton were inches away from an equaliser‚ when a Chris Bale shot from 20 yards beat the visiting custodian only for the ball to rebound off the inside of the far post‚ to ensure that the Tigers were still purring at half time.

With an hour on the clock‚ Gloucester doubled the lead when confusion in the Tiverton defence allowed Sykes to break away and play a low cross to substitute Noakes‚ who poked the ball into the back of the net from two yards out.

A minute later‚ Tiverton clawed one back when a Mudge cross was poorly cleared and Holloway drove the ball into the bottom corner with the keeper helpless.

Tiverton were pushing men forward and dominating both possession and territory. However nothing would work to give Tiverton a deserved equaliser‚ with a Skinner half volley just wide adding to the frustration.

With lady luck clearing her throat‚ a fantastic in-swinging cross from the left met the head of Gardener who had a big enough touch to beat the keeper and to send the Tiverton supporters into raptures with two minutes to play.

To make matters worse for the Tigers‚ Mustoe was given his marching orders for dissent as tempers flared. The temperature was rising by the kick; but could there be a winner?

With another five minutes, it would have been a great possibility but the referee blew his whistle and both sides will have to start all over again on Tuesday.

This report ©2006 Sam Lear

Please note: The � or ? character in some older reports denotes where an error has occured in translation when the reports were transfered between databases