The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club


Salisbury 0 - 3 Tiverton Town

Tuesday 11/09/2001   Southern League Premier Division
John Reidy

There is always a possibility that a team suffering a humiliating defeat‚ as Salisbury City did at Hednesford
last Saturday‚ will bounce back and take retribution on their next opponents. Tivvy‚ therefore‚ had to be
prepared for any Sarum backlash in response to that 6-0 drubbing by their fellow strugglers at the foot of the
table. The Wiltshire side also chose this match to unveil a new secret weapon‚ goalkeeper Jimmy Glass‚ famed
for his injury time headed goal that saved his ´loan´ club Carlisle United from the dark depths of The Conference‚
thereby dooming Scarborough to return from whence they came. No late corners was the order of the day from
the high proportion of Yellows fans in the crowd. A first glance at the team sheet on the back of the match
programme also revealed a new name in the Tivvy line up‚ one Scott Walker being named at No. 6. Just as the
´60s music fans began to hope for a high standard of after-match entertainment we realised that it obviously
referred to our own Spice Boy‚ Scott Rogers. Then came the announcement over the loud(quiet)speaker‚ Scotty
wasn´t playing anyway and David Steele was to make his first start. Otherwise no change.
A minutes silence in respect of those who lost their lives in the day´s events and on with the action.

And there was plenty of that as the game started at a frantic pace. Within a minute Steele found space on the
right and whipped in a cross that found Richard Pears‚ Glass only being able to beat out the Tiverton mans shot.
For the first ten minutes or so the home side ran at Town. Looking far from being a basement side they were
carving their way forward and the Tivvy defence looked decidedly vulnerable‚ only poor finishing keeping
Salisbury off the scoresheet as they blazed shots wide‚ across the goalmouth‚ or high over the bar. Not that the
Yellows were totally penned back. On the break they too were looking dangerous. Pears‚ Steve Ovens and
Kevin Nancekivell were all set free on solo runs but dispossessed by chasing defenders or quick off his line
Glass. By the halfway mark in the first period there was little to chose between the sides. The home side had run
out of their initial energy and Tivvy were beginning to string passes together to greater effect than they had. The
best chances though were still coming through solo runs on goal with Steve Ovens persistence in hastling
defenders gaining him possession on at least three occasions when the ball should never have been his. Once
he broke clear but put his shot past Glass and unfortunately also past the post; twice he sent in crosses that
Pears was unable to convert. Half time came with a blank scoreline‚ and though through my biased eyes I felt
that Tivvy had the edge I couldn´t disagree with those that felt that the home side could have been leading by 4-
2‚ had both sets of strikers had their shooting boots on.

Salisbury´s Stadium might be reasonably new‚ this is their 5th season playing there‚ but it is only developed
on one side and one end and has only one refreshment outlet. By the time the second half started I was still
several places back in the tea queue. Perhaps it was a good thing‚ if I´d been at the front I might have thrown
that much needed lubrication over everyone around me. Right from the whistle Tivvy went forward. And as in the
first half it was the long ball through the middle with a Yellow shirt taking it. This time it was Nancekivell sent
through by Ovens‚ this time it was under control‚ and this time Glass couldn´t get down to it. Salisbury were
caught cold. Town were in front with just 39 seconds on my watch. City didn´t stay cold for long. As they sought
a rapid reply Paul Chenoweth‚ looking steady as a rock until then‚ clattered Tyronne Bowers to the ground.
Bowers received treatment and recovered‚ ´Cheno´ received a yellow card and a stern caution from Mr Baker of
Andover. (Isn´t Andover a little close to Salisbury‚ I asked myself.) From the resultant free kick Eddie was forced
to punch clear under pressure and the ball fell to Robbie Matthews - no‚ not our beloved webmaster - who
bought the ball down and lobbed in a shot that just looped wide of the upright. Matthews was by far the most
threatening of the Sarum front men‚ far more impressive than the one time Yellows loanee Rob Speakman who
was fully justifying Dodge´s decision not to retain his services. The single goal advantage was not to last long.
Nine minutes into the second half and with the Yellows looking more secure at the back than they had in the first
period it was another long through ball that split the home back line. The hyperactive Ovens nipped round the
back of the central defender and despite being under pressure bought the ball down off his chest‚ shrugged off
the challenge from behind and slid the ball under the advancing Glass. A route one goal in the best Wimbledon
tradition. Action from the Salisbury bench was prompt. Off went Speakman to be replaced by Darren Crook‚ an
eighteen year old of limited experience. It was a popular decision among the home fans and it seemed not
because of any particular regard for the youngsters skills.
Two behind‚ Salisbury had to fight. Under the cosh went Tivvy and the defence again started to look vulnerable
under the sustained pressure. How the home side failed to narrow the deficit was a miracle‚ perhaps Lady Luck‚
absent for so many of Tivvy´s recent games‚ had decided to see for herself how we were doing without her. And
we were doing pretty well. Phil Everett replaced the tiring Chenoweth to introduce a little bit more energy in
midfield with 19 minutes left and three minutes later Anthony Lynch came on for Pears. Salisbury´s efforts were
beginning to falter. Town were looking less fragile at the back and it was no surprise when with ten minutes left
Everett sent a long clearance out from halfway inside the Tivvy half and found Lynch. Lynch stumbled past his
marker but took the ball with him‚ breaking right. His cross fell at the feet of a defender but Steve Ovens was
quickly in to steal the ball and break free to again beat Glass. And that was not the end of Ovens contribution. In
the dying minutes he could have completed his hat trick. Another solo run. This time he rounded the keeper but
ran out of running and could only manage to stroke the ball wide. The fans couldn´t really blame him. Every
blade of grass on the pitch must have been covered by Ovens. A welcome 9 minute cameo appearance from
Pete Conning‚ replacing Steve Winter‚ had steadied up the defence as Tivvy decided the three goal margin was
enough. The final whistle. A deserved 3 points despite being let off the hook in the first 45 minutes by Sarum´s
wayward shooting.

The problems are still there but not as obvious as the results become better.
Good entertainment. Long may it continue.

Tiverton Town: Paul Edwards‚ Steve Winter‚ Neil Saunders‚ Paul Tatterton‚ Nicky Marker‚ David Steele, Kevin
Nancekivell, Steve Ovens, Richard Pears, Paul Chenoweth, Dave Leonard.
Subs: Phil Everett (Chenoweth, 71), Anthony Lynch (Pears, 74), Pete Conning (Winter, 81).

Salisbury City: Jimmy Glass, Scott Bartlett, Andy Cook, Lee Bradford, Roger Emms, Matt Davies, Wayne Turk,
Robert Harbut, Robert Speakman, Robbie Matthews, Tyronne Bowers.
Subs: Darren Crook (Speakman, 55) Tristan Burton, Lee Bartlett.

This report ©2001 John Reidy