The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club


Chippenham Town 5 - 1 Tiverton Town

Tuesday 09/10/2007   Southern League Premier Division
Tivvy Archive

It’s little wonder that the playing surface at Ladysmead is one of the best in non-league football - the first team never seem to play on it, and to accentuate that point Tivvy were faced with a third successive away day, this time at old rivals from days of yore Chippenham Town. It’s a fixture that always seems to produce goals, the last eight meeting at Hardenhuish have produced 28 goals, most recently a crazy 5-3 reverse for Tivvy. This season’s meeting proved no different, and perhaps the writing was on the wall as early as the third minute when Aaron Cornwall headed home at the far post to put the Wiltshire outfit one up. But the early flurry didn’t materialise and Town eased their way back into contention on a fast pitch in a frantic game. Cliff-Brown grazed the crossbar with a powerful free kick and Gould scuffed a shot along the surface as the Yellows began to work their way on top.

Only seventeen minutes were gone when Knighton was forced to leave the action with a strain, and this meant that Jamie Mudge was back in Tiverton action for the first time in six months, but the striker was not able to weave the magic needed to unhinge the Bluebirds’ backline. Jake Reid sent a header crashing inches wide of Johnston’s upright on thirty-five minutes, and almost immediately Kes Mettiri saw his shot deflected over the top after a prolonged scramble in the goalmouth. The period ended with just the solitary goal, but five minutes after the restart Reid wove the magic that Mudge was still striving for and doubled Chippenham’s lead. Picking the ball up on the half way line the skilful striker jinked through the Tiverton midfield, beyond Wyatt and Martin in the right hand channel and fired a sweet shot across Johnston and into the far corner of the goal.

It was a goal worth applauding regardless of allegiance, and Kye Holly came close to further extending the lead five minutes further on only for Johnston to grab hold of his neat flick. Tivvy battled gallantly despite being under the cosh for long periods, and a series of corners eventually led to Tom Gardner heading past Chris Snoddy at the near post to half the deficit. With half and hour still to play there was genuine hope that the visitors could still salvage a point from the game, but Chippenham are no mugs and they promptly took their game to a new level and scored thrice in the space of eleven second half minutes to seal the victory. First Kevin Halliday scrambled in a goal from no yards after Tivvy struggled to deal with an in-swinging corner, and then Holly added his name to the list when Johnston flapped at a seemingly harmless floated free kick. And with five minutes remaining Holly bagged his second from the penalty spot having been upended by Groves.

Chippenham Town: Chris Snoddy; Ross Adams (Ollie Price 63), Kevin Halliday, Kes Mettiri, Dale Peckham, Iain Harvey (Luke Gullick), Scott Lye, Kye Holly, Jake Reid (Samuel Allison 73), Aaron Cornwall, Dave Pratt

Goals: Cornwall 3, Reid 50, Halliday 74, Holly 82, 85

Booked: Reid 32

Sent Off: None

Tiverton Town: Ray Johnston; Luke Clarke (Paul Wyatt34 (Lewis Irish 78)), Chris Vinnicombe, Jak Martin, Nathan Rudge, Tom Gardner, Lee Groves, Will Gardner, Carl Cliff-Brown, Glenn Gould, Tom Knighton (James Mudge 17)

Goals: Tom Gardner 68

Booked: Martin 88

Sent Off: None

Attendance: 403

This report ©2007 Tivvy Archive