The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club


Tiverton Town 2 - 2 Frome Town

Tuesday 27/03/2018   Southern League Premier Division
Simon Ellis

Had the Yellows managed to salvage a two-all draw in the original Boxing Day fixture, there would definitely have been a huge feeling of delight and relief amongst home fans and players having trailed two nil at the interval before the match was abandoned minutes in to the second period. The two-all draw that they did manage, however, left the Yellows wondering at full time how and where it went wrong. A goal up inside five minutes thanks to a twenty-second league goal of the season for Levi Landricombe, that strike was cancelled out by George Miller four minutes before the interval. After the break, one of the strangest decisions of the season saw referee Daniel Flynn dismiss Frome Town full back Kris Miller for handball, with Landricombe smashing the resulting spot kick against the crossbar. The visitors then seemed like they were about to snatch an unlikely three points at the death when Jono Davies fired home from close range three minutes before time, only for Tom Bath to deny them, equalising a couple of minutes later.

Manager Martyn Rogers made two changes to the team which had drawn two each at Kings Langley four days earlier: Ben Mammola returned to the starting eleven after his enforced absence, as did Nick Hurst for the first time since February; Jamie Price and Jared Lewington dropped to the bench, while Callum Hall remained the only absentee due to continued ill health. Frome too were beset with similar problems to Tivvy, their squad stripped to the bare bones as several first-team regulars were unavailable for various reasons, most notable evidence of this was with former Yellows midfielder Ollie Knowles playing as a central defender.
As early as the fourth minute the Yellows forged their first real opening, and Landricombe made it count. They had, however, survived an early scare as Mammola and Armstrong left a loose ball to each other, Ollie Knight nipping in but unable to capitalise as his tame lob was easily collected by the retreating Armstrong. Then Michael Landricombe sent his brother scampering through on goal, Levi`s shot too hot for Kyle Phillips in the Frome goal to deal with. Chances for both sides to increase their tally continued to arrive throughout an entertaining half, both goalkeepers earning their crust with excellent saves. Armstrong denied Davies at full stretch, and Phillips prevented Landricombe from adding his and the Yellows second before George Miller capitalised on some slack defending after Ben Withey’s run and cross to draw the sides level with a simple finish four minutes before the interval.

Levi Landricombe released Jordan Rogers at the start of the second half, his goal-bound effort was smartly pushed behind by Phillips for a corner and from that camne a strange turn of events to say the least. Hurst’s delivery was headed goalwards by Owen Irish which Miller headed clear, that said, Irish`s effort appeared to have crossed the line. Not, however, in the eyes of referee Flynn. Much to the bemusement of all involved and the majority, if not all the crowd, Flynn awarded a penalty and dismissed Miller for an alleged use of a hand. Understandably incensed by the decision, two Frome players were cautioned for their heated and prolonged protestations, but the decision was not about to be reversed. Landricombe stepped up to restore the Yellows lead but with the help of the crossbar and an un-moved linesman, Phillips denied him. With justice seemingly served, Frome rallied and despite their numerical disadvantage appeared to be heading for an unlikely three points when the impressive Davies robbed Mammola, played a one-two with Ryan Bath before drilling home inside Armstrong’s near post with only two minutes of the ninety remaining. So quick was the Yellows response, though, this match reporter missed some of it. Scott Rogers was felled on the edge of the Frome area, the resulting quickly taken free kick caught defenders (and others) off guard, and Bath was given the simple task of tapping home from close range to salvage a draw from an entertaining and controversial match.

Tiverton Town: Liam Armstrong, Jamie Short, Nick Hurst, Owen Irish (Jamie Price 84), Ben Mammola, Tom Gardner, Tom Bath, Michael Landricombe, Jordan Rogers (Jared Lewington 72), Levi Landricombe, Scott Rogers
Goals: Levi Landricombe 4, Tom Bath 89

Attendance: 215

This report ©2018 Simon Ellis