The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club


Swindon Supermarine 0 - 1 Tiverton Town

Saturday 11/08/2018   Southern League Premier Division
Simon Ellis

After what has been an exciting summer on the international football scene, the Yellows, after their impressive pre-season got the 2018/19 campaign off to the perfect start with all three points and a clean sheet. A first win at the Webbswood Stadium in as near as makes no difference five years for the Yellows in the seasons curtain raiser and not since August 2008 had they won away from home on the opening day, 1-0 the scoreline that day too at Halesowen Town, one of only four goals scored by the giant centre-half Arran Pugh. The goal-scorer on this occasion is much more accustomed to finding the back of the net, step forward Levi Landricombe ten minutes into the second half for his ninety-sixth competitive goal for Tiverton.

Swindon Supermarine had, as Tiverton had done twelve months earlier, booked their place in this seasons Premier Division via the play-offs and were keen to prove they are more than just here to make up the numbers, their early possession and territory keeping the Yellows backline on their toes and the ever dependable trio of Mammola, Price and Gardner, who scored the last time Tiverton had registered a victory here back in October 2013, knew they were in for more than just a stroll in the park, the hosts full-backs Dan Williamson and Michael Hopkins were both getting forward and delivering dangerous crosses early on, one of which from Hopkins found Joe Selman in space who could only blaze over from close in and later on in the half Matt Coupe saw a header well saved by Armstrong and Stuart Fleetwood found only the side netting, with sections of the home crowd thinking he had opened the scoring. The Yellows had carried their own threat going forward as well though, mainly from set pieces as both Michael Landricombe, who had another header chalked off for offside, and Jamie Price could have done better with headers from a couple of free-kicks and an excellent run and cross from debutant Josh Key found Bath who shot narrowly wide.

Levi Landricombe volleyed right footed over the bar at the start of the second half and then moments after he saw his attempted cross towards Bath cleared after he had scampered in behind the hosts defence. Experience and concentration at this level are huge factors. Dan Williamson had been excellent bombing forward in the first half but his attempted back header towards his own goalkeeper was woefully under-hit and with the predatory Landricombe sniffing around, he gleefully accepted his gift, rounded `Marine keeper Josh Hill and tapped in what would turn out to be the only strike of the afternoon. Connor McDonagh almost brought about an instant reply as his cross-come-shot almost crept in, a Levi Landricombe rocket was well tipped over and Man of the Match River Allen almost caught out Hill from fully 35 yards, his dipping volleying curling inches wide. The closer the match came to its climax, the more Tivvys experience at this level paid off. Defending in numbers and then bursting forward on the break and Josh Key had an excellent chance from one such break, timing his run to perfection to collect Allen`s delightful ball through to add his first and Tivvys second but Hill did well to foil him and Tiverton, despite huge Swindon claims for a penalty when Luke Williams and Mammola collided late on, reasonably comfortably saw out the remainder, including the fastest ever two minutes of injury time, of the match.

Tiverton Town: Liam Armstrong, Josh Key, Nick Hurst, Jamie Price, Ben Mammola, Tom Gardner, Harry Evans, River Allen, Tom Bath (Jordan Rogers 84), Levi Landricombe, Michael Landricombe

Goal: Levi Landricombe 55

Attendance: 247

This report ©2018 Simon Ellis