The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club


Wimborne Town 2 - 1 Tiverton Town

Saturday 01/12/2018   Southern League Premier Division
Jay Richardson

I am not a betting man but if I was then Saturday would have been an ideal opportunity to make the bookmaker cry and win some xmas money. Wimborne had won their last six home games in all competitions scoring sixteen goals and conceding only three at Cuthburry. Tiverton on their Last six away games had lost four drawn two and, in the process, shipped fourteen goals and scored only five.

Tivvy could only field thirteen players as Ben Mammola was absent for personal reasons, Jamie Price our captain was suspended, and striker Jordan Rogers had departed for Frome Town needing a fresh challenge. Of those left at Ladysmead five are on loan with us Liam Armstrong, Josh Key, Harrison Davis, Max Smallcombe and Cameron Allen. One player Mike Smith was borrowed from Plymouth Parkway due to a suspension that strangely is not enforceable in the Southern League, Substitute Josh Wadham is with us due to the same ruling whilst serving a six-game ban with Wellington F.C and player coach Scott Rogers was starting the match in the middle of the park to add some much-needed experience and fire-fighting expertise.

The match started with Wimborne looking dangerous and on 2 minutes Luke Burbidge burst through the centre of the Tivvy back line but an excellent blocking tackle denied him from Tom Gardner. Wimborne’s captain Scott Arnold was stretchered off on nine minutes with a nasty looking knee injury when he was clattered by his own player in an accidental challenge. He was later taken to hospital by Ambulance and we send him our best wishes. Tivvy were looking dangerous on the counter attack with new lad Mike Smith adding some much-needed energy and holdup play. It was however Wimborne who should have taken the lead when a tantalising cross found Toby Holmes free in the box, but he put the header over the bar when well placed. Tiverton had their own chances and it was current top scorer Levi Landricombe who had a shot cleared off the line from Steff Penny when everybody thought Levi would put the yellows 1-0 up. 28 Minutes had passed when Tivvy had another glorious opportunity to open our goal scoring account in Dorset but this time Matty Oldring somehow blocked another goal bound shot on the line. The game was very entertaining, and the pendulum started to swing Wimborne’s way. It was the Magpies turn to hit the crossbar through Luke Burbidge instead of finding the net. Tivvy then cleared one of the line from a Magpie raid and Toby Holmes somehow manged to shoot high and handsome over the bar from the resulting clearance. There was still time for Toby Holmes to race clear and scuff his shot before the ref could blow for half-time. How the scores stayed level at half time I will never know but somehow it did. Surely the second half would bring goals ?

The second half saw Wimborne come out of the blocks fast and attack Liam Armstrong’s goal. On 48 minutes Liam pulled of an excellent save from a freekick 25 yards out that was destined to go in the top corner of Tivvy’s goal. From the resulting corner though Toby Holmes stole in at the far post and made no mistake connecting from a great delivery from close range to give Wimborne the lead. Harrison Davis was trying his best though and on 54 Minutes it looked like he was on a one-man mission to drag the team back level. He went past several Wimborne players but put his eventual shot just wide. This kick started Tivvy to try and mount a comeback and look to play higher up the field. Tivvy made a double substitution on 69 minutes to try and get the equaliser with Mike Smith who had looked excellent being replaced by Cameron Allen and Scott Rogers battling away in the engine room like a fireman putting out a large blaze with one hose being replaced by Josh Wadham.

With Tiverton pushing forward in a desperate attempt to rescue a point it was that man Luke Burbidge who crashed home the winner after a great run on 87 minutes. There was still time for Josh Wadham to get a goal back for Tivvy in added on time with a nice finish after he cut in from the wing. There was however no time for an equaliser and the referee blew to signal another away defeat for the yellow men from Devon.

Tivvy have taken eight points from a possible thirty in the last ten league games. It is no coincidence that since River Allen and Nick Hurst have not been with us our form has significantly dipped. Replacements are desperately needed on a full-time basis as stop gaps and one offs are not helping the cause. We need to get back on course soon as this is not a very forgiving league and we could be dragged into a relegation battle before we know it.

Tiverton Town: Liam Armstrong, Josh Key, Callum Hall, Harrison Davis, Tom Gardner, Mike Landricombe, Scott Rogers (Josh Wadham 64), Max Smallcombe, Levi Landricombe, Tom Bath, Mike Smith (Cameron Allen 64)
Goal: Josh Wadham 90+4

Attendance: 299

This report ©2018 Jay Richardson