The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club


Yate Town 2 - 1 Tiverton Town

Monday 29/08/2005   Southern League Premier Division
Sam Lear

Despite Tiverton going ahead through Reinier Moor‚ and having their 'keeper sent off‚ Yate still managed to scrape a 2-1 win with goals from Justin Pritchard and Adam Sims‚ to condemn the Yellows to more misery and disappointment.

Yate Town F.C is surrounded by beautiful countryside‚ with trees surrounding the ground; it was a little ground‚ holding a little team‚ and that was to be Tiverton Town‚ with Yate grabbing their first win of the season.

It was an even start‚ with both teams wanting to take an early lead; the first chance fell to Pritchart‚ when his effort from 20 yards was parried away by Mark Ovendale.

Two minutes later‚ Steve Winter was given a free-kick in a perfect position‚ but his effort from 20 yards‚ shaved the right post‚ to the relief of Tony Court‚ in the Yate goal.

After seven minutes‚ a long ball from the left flank to the right by Dave Hambly‚ found Stewart Yetton‚ who ran in towards the penalty area‚ and fired from 20 yards‚ but blasted well over.

Chris Bale then danced past Dave Elsey from the right flank‚ to cross towards Yetton‚ positioned five yards out‚ but his volley was well over‚ after 13 minutes. Chris Bale had another effort five minutes later‚ after receiving a Hambly through ball to the left‚ and scooped the ball towards the top right corner‚ but Court parried well.

Good build-up play by Tiverton‚ resulted in Moor turning past Mike Wyatt‚ and a shot 25 yards out from the left‚ deflected off Lee Jefferies into the top right corner‚ to give him‚ his first goal of the season‚ from his first start‚ after 26 minutes.

Seven minutes later‚ a Yetton blast found the hand of Court‚ outside his area‚ which condemned Court‚ to an early bath. Former Tivvy player‚ Darren Edwards was handed the duty of going into goal.

In first half stoppage time‚ a long ball by Davies from his own half‚ met the hand of Mike Booth‚ inside the penalty area‚ which awarded Yate a penalty, which was tucked in by Pritchard, despite the best efforts of Ovendale.

During the half-time interval, the Tiverton manager, Martun Rogers, spent some of the 15 minute break, on the pitch, instead of the changing room.

Four minutes into the second period, saw a Moor through ball to Yetton, 18 yards out, which was well saved by Pritchard, who took over from Edwards in goal at half-time.

The 64th minute saw David Steele, borrowed from Willand Rovers, came on for Mike Booth.

After 75 minutes, Yate were two versus one on Tiverton, with Edwards and Andy Neal against Steve Winter, but Edwards blasted wide from 18 yards despite the pressure from Steve Winter.

Almost straight from the re-start, saw a Yetton shot 15 yards out, cleared off the line by the rushing Mike Wyatt, to prevent Tivvy going 2-1 ahead.

In the 78th minute, Tiverton failed to clear a Dave Elsey free-kick, and found Sims, who blasted the ball into the bottom left corner, from 15 yards to the right, to send the players into raptures, as they were gaining in on their first victory.

Tiverton failed to get back into the game, there was no way past the tight Yate defence. The closest they came was a 25 yard effort from Moor, which missed the bar by a foot.

You would have thought that Yate would have won the World Cup, when the final whistle blew, loud chants from their dressing room, obviously suggested that it is all about confidence. Tiverton must now, prepare for Bedford.

Yate Town: Tony Court, Adam Sims, Dave Elsey, Scott Brice, Lee Jefferies, Christian Sylvester, Mike Wyatt, Paul Chenoweth, Darren Edwards, Justin Pritchard, Andy Neal
Booked: Chenoweth 70
Sent Off: Court 32

Tiverton Town: Mark Ovendale, Steve Winter, Shaun Goff (Kurt Nogan 78), Mike Booth (David Steele 64), Mike Walker, Paul Milsom, Dave Hambly (Kevin Wills 69), Chris Bale, Stewart Yetton, Chris Holloway, Reinier Moor
Booked: Milsom 62, Nogan 90
Sent Off: None

This report ©2005 Sam Lear