The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club


Beaconsfield Town 4 - 0 Tiverton Town

Tuesday 03/03/2020   Southern League Premier Division
Jay Richardson

I am not superstitious at all and I don’t believe in excuses so first of all I must say well done to Beaconsfield Town on their fine 4-0 victory over the yellows in Buckinghamshire. The Rams are a far superior team to the outfit that were beaten 6-1 by Tivvy back on a sunny Devon day last August. The groundsman at Holloways Park must also be given credit for producing an excellent pitch that survived a downpour late in the afternoon.

I am also mighty relieved to be able to write this match report as on route from Devon after setting off at 14.30 on a Three & a half hour journey with Mike there were numerous accidents on the local Motorway network. To avoid a major tailback on the M4 I took the A420 from Swindon to Oxford where an articulated Lorry from Aldi decided not to stop on the slip road and nearly squashed us in the inside lane with nowhere for us to go as the outside lane was also blocked. After a new pair of underpants and the smell of burning rubber had passed, I knew that my brakes were in great working order and I must thank the car behind me for swerving into the fast lane just missing another speeding car.  

Travelling long distances midweek is never an easy job and it can’t be underestimated what the players have to go through with most having to work during the day, travel and then play to their full capabilities. Again, this is not an excuse as all teams have to do it, but it does give some background to a Non-League players life. Tivvy lined up with Lewis Williams in goal and a back four of Kyle Egan, Jordan Dyer, Mike Landricombe and Peirce Mitchell. The midfield was made up of Scott Rogers, Steve Colwell and George Nancekivell. Ryan Beckinsale and Billy Craske played further forward supporting Alex Fletcher. The subs were Chris Shephard and Jordan Bastin who were stuck in traffic and they were accompanied on the bench by Levi Landricombe and George Rogers.

 With only one minute on the clock Stefan Powell launched a 30-yard lob that had Williams back-pedalling. The ball hit the goal frame and rebounded back out to James Ewington who was fastest to react and the hot-shot goal scorer who used to play for Walton Casuals duly obliged to put the Rams ahead. There then followed twenty minutes of play where Tivvy were pressing for the equaliser and Beaconsfield were looking dangerous on the break with forward Alexander Cathline the former Enfield Town and Tilbury player looking a real handful up front.  On 14 minutes Rogers was replaced by Bastin who had just made through the traffic hold ups.

Tivvy started to exert some pressure, Beckinsale broke down the left-hand side and steamed into the box. The resulting low shot was saved by Myles Bowman, but it looked like the ball would cross the line only for Mayowa Balogun to tidy up at the back and the chance was gone. The Rams came back and Aaron Minihas bore down on the Tivvy goal but was thwarted by a great tackle by Dyer. Tivvy nearly drew level just before half time when Craske was put through on goal, but he failed by a fraction to lift the ball over Bowman who pulled off another excellent save.  Tivvy had a great shout for a penalty when Beckinsale was upended in the box just before the halftime whistle. The crowd of 65 held their breath with the whole Tivvy bench convinced it was a penalty. The referee Mr Gilroy had other ideas and waved play on. The less I say about that decision the better.

The second half saw Tivvy on 52 minutes put on Shephard for Mitchell and try to get back into the game. The Rams had over ideas and took control of the game on 54 minutes through the dangerous Cathline who threaded a ball in midfield through to Ewington who again finished with style past Williams with a low shot that gave the keeper no chance. It was to get worse for Tivvy on 60 minutes as Minhas headed home inside the box after good work from Ewington and Louis Stead. Tivvy put on Levi Landricombe on 62 minutes but Stead was beginning to now run the show and it was no surprise that a fourth goal came on 78 minutes. Substitute Charlie Losasso who Tivvy fans remember a couple of seasons back scoring a thunderbolt in Devon put through a delicious ball again to Ewington and he finished with aplomb past Williams again giving him no chance. The striker’s finishes were excellent, and he fully deserved his hat-trick.

Tivvy had another good penalty shout this time by the keeper on Fletcher in the final few minutes but to be fair the boat had already sailed by then and Mr Gilroy was not going to be pointing to the spot.

Finally, to top off the evening the M4 was shut at Reading on the way home, the diversion was not clear, and we ended up going through to Basingstoke then onto the A303. The A303 was also shut near Wincanton and we got home at 2.30 AM. However, I was just pleased that I saw no further Aldi Lorries and as they say Saturday is another game. A bad day at the office but there have been more good days than bad this season. Good luck to Beaconsfield and on this performance, there is no way will they be going down.

Tiverton Town: Lewis Williams, Kyle Egan, Pierce Mitchell (Chris Shephard 52), George Nancekivell, Michael Landricombe, Jordan Dyer, Steve Colwell, Ryan Beckinsale, Alex Fletcher, Scott Rogers (Jordan Bastin 14), Billy Craske (Levi Landricombe 62)


This report ©2020 Jay Richardson